Talk

Advanced search

Is there a recipe book with good vegetable recipes - not too fiddly and not too full of fat?

(14 Posts)
franch Mon 04-Jul-11 21:00:31

I've bought a few vegetarian books but, oddly, they don't contain all that many vegetable recipes. I'm looking for dishes packed with veggies that don't take ages to prepare, and aren't mostly cheese, cream, butter, etc.

Is there such a thing?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 04-Jul-11 21:05:43

Leiths vegetarian bible.

franch Mon 04-Jul-11 21:15:38

Thanks VLB - got that one, nice recipes which I'd've enjoyed pre-kids, but mostly a bit sophisticated for everyday family meals. Maybe I haven't given it enough of a chance, but I keep opening it and then closing it again because I can't see anything I can imagine the kids eating.

franch Mon 04-Jul-11 21:16:46

I'm open to persuasion though if you have any favourite recipes you can recommend??

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 04-Jul-11 21:20:16

Lesley Waters' Broader Than Beans has quite a few good recipes based around single veggies or combinations.

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 04-Jul-11 21:21:32

Or Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian is brilliant. It has sections of recipes listed by vegetable/pulse etc as well as grains/dairy etc. It's huge and should have lots of things that will appeal.

isthismadness Mon 04-Jul-11 21:25:29

I have madhur jaffreys book and have never cooked a thing from it. It's far too complicated with tons of ingredients, and often ones that are hard to source...

ColonelBrandonsBiggestGroupie Mon 04-Jul-11 21:28:01

The recipes are actually mostly really easy, once you get over the ingredients list!

Everything I've made from it has been really good. The only thing that annoys me is she doesn't say whether things are considered a side dish or a main meal so she'll say something serves six, for example - but then it's tiny and should have been served with lots of other things.

And I love reading it.

Xiaoxiong Tue 05-Jul-11 10:00:56

How to cook everything vegetarian by Mark Bittman (used to write a column in the NY Times called "The Minimalist"). It's the sequel to his other one called "how to cook everything" and been updated for the UK, see here on Amazon.

I love his two cookbooks and they remind me a lot of Nigel Slater recipes in their pared-back approach. I actually use the iphone apps a lot as well:
how to cook everything
how to cook everything vegetarian

Also Nigel Slater's first Tender cookbook is all veg and categorised by vegetable, and has lots of info on growing your own if you're into that kind of thing.

NightLark Tue 05-Jul-11 10:14:18

For very basic stuff I really like a running / fitness training book that happens to have recipes in it. It's by Anita Bean, and called 'Fitness Foods'. Loads of veg and plain carbs. Not a veggie book, but has loads of veggie recipes / alternatives.

NightLark Tue 05-Jul-11 10:15:19

PS - I'm no gourmet. Food is pretty much fuel to me, don't expect dinner party fare from the book...

Xiaoxiong Tue 05-Jul-11 10:19:56

Oh and a PS to my post - in case anyone thinks I'm a troll those iphone apps are both free smile

Xiaoxiong Tue 05-Jul-11 10:21:15

Arrgh PS to my PS - sorry, "how to cook everything" is free, the vegetarian one was £2.99. Still cheaper than a cookbook though.

franch Wed 06-Jul-11 12:13:19

Brilliant choices, thanks everyone. I've gone wild and ordered Bittman, Slater, Bean and Waters. Will let you know how I get on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now