Talk

Advanced search

Leftover porridge

(10 Posts)
dustyhousewithdustypeople Mon 04-Jul-11 20:17:26

Is there anything I can make with leftover porridge? I always make too much and it looks so useful.

rodformyownback Mon 04-Jul-11 20:24:15

If you are making soup / stew that day you could use it as a thickener.

I have this problem and use it as "stodge" for ds2's baby food - it does mean he often has porridge twice a day but the way I see it oats are healthier than pasta or potatoes so why not?

I have made my own cereal bars using porridge oats but not after you have already made the porridge - you could try baking it with some grated carrot and maybe a bit of syrup and just see what happens?

rodformyownback Mon 04-Jul-11 20:25:03

dusty my house is dusty too! blush

When I was young we used to add flour to it to make a dough then form it into patties and fry it...

Not the healthiest thing ever, but I think it was nice (it's been a very long time!)

rodformyownback Mon 04-Jul-11 20:34:58

I meant grated apple! carrot cereal bars anyone?hmm

osd Mon 04-Jul-11 20:36:56

Bread, or cookies. Or add breadcrumbs and haggis and it makes a meatloaf.

dustyhousewithdustypeople Mon 04-Jul-11 21:42:00

Mmm, definitely going to try these. Maybe combine the ideas- flour, grated apple (or carrot!) and then fry. My children are in for interesting food tomorrow...

Rod, there's nothing wrong with a bit of dust <cough>

whimsicalname Tue 05-Jul-11 09:23:54

I've used left over mash / amaranth / couscous in loaves of bread. It holds moisture in and makes for a good, if slightly solid, loaf. Imagine porridge would do the same job.

rodformyownback Thu 07-Jul-11 13:38:12

Dusty I've been pondering your porridge conundrum as ds2 has leftover reddybrek every day, but sadly I don't like it! Wish I did as I know how good for you it is.
I remembered that in my pre-children, London days I used to get the occasional "breakfast smoothie" from an organic juice bar on my way to work (I often wonder what I spent my salary on. I'm starting to remember!). So this morning I invented the following "recipe"

2tbsp leftover reddybrek
1tbsp leftover apple puree
Handful of raspberries (straight from the garden [smug emoticon])
1tbsp plain yoghurt
1/2 glass milk

whizzed up together. bloody lovely grin. who needs organic juice bars anyway?

DonaAna Fri 08-Jul-11 19:07:23

If you make bread at home just add the porridge to the dough. Really tasty and frugal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now