Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for a luscious birthday cake that's not chocolate

(24 Posts)
bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jul-11 20:50:31

For DD's 12th birthday - to feed 15 shock girls.

TheSnickeringFox Sat 02-Jul-11 21:00:54

Nigella has something involving Madeira (lemon?) cake, raspberries, toasted almonds and lashings of cream. If that's of interest I could look up the recipe. It's in the Domestic Goddess book.

There's also a ludicrously easy key lime pie that's totally delicious and requires no cooking.

Ah, I do love cake...

trumpton Sat 02-Jul-11 21:01:16

Luscious lemon cake or a great big Pavlova

mummynoseynora Sat 02-Jul-11 21:02:31

I tend to do a simple sponge and mix in a finely zested orange - really brings out a yummy flavour!

bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jul-11 21:02:53

SnickeringFox, do you live in my back garden? grin That Nigella cake sounds lush, and I have the book so will look it up.

trumpton, she also loves Pavlova, so that could be a good idea too!

TheSnickeringFox Sat 02-Jul-11 21:17:49

Is your back garden full of cake? Then yes, I most probably do grin

bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jul-11 21:39:29

No, sadly not cake, Just fox poo angry grin

SecretNutellaFix Sat 02-Jul-11 21:41:31

Red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting

bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jul-11 21:43:48

Secret, I think they are going to be having red velvet cupcakes, so wanted something different for The Cake!

SecretNutellaFix Sat 02-Jul-11 21:47:03

ah. grin

In which case a triple layer lemon layer cake with lemon buttercream frosting.

bigTillyMint Sat 02-Jul-11 21:47:51

Mmmm. Might have to wander into the kitchen.....

TheSnickeringFox Sat 02-Jul-11 22:12:06

Ahem blush

SevenAgainstThebes Mon 04-Jul-11 14:34:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OTheHugeManatee Mon 04-Jul-11 14:36:38

Was about to post but Seven got there first. At this time of year, absolutely definitely go easy on the cake and heavy on the summer fruit.

<cake craving emoticon>

bigTillyMint Mon 04-Jul-11 15:06:01

This thread is not good for my waistline!

DD has said vanilla sponge with raspberry jam and buttercream / rasperries and cream in the middle, but definitely icing and lots of sweeties to decorate! Well, she is only 11 grin

moonbells Mon 04-Jul-11 15:20:44

Banana cake? Wonderfully moist. Gooey. Great to use up old bananas and I think I might have popped a recipe once uopn a time into the recipe section.

Going to have to go and check though...

moonbells Mon 04-Jul-11 15:22:42

bother no I didn't.

But there are some nice ones up there already.

Taffeta Mon 04-Jul-11 17:46:36

What about a tower of pink mini pavs sandwiched together with pink cream ( mix with rasp puree and icing sugar )

Pinner35 Mon 04-Jul-11 22:42:53

Not sure if it'll be big enough, but this is Tana Ramsay's girls birthday cake - it is yummy!! No link, sorry.

DECORATIONS
1 red rose
1 white rose
2 eggs whites
sprinkiling of caster sugar

SPONGE
225g/9oz unsalted butter, softened and diced.
225g/9oz golden caster sugar
225g/9oz self-raising flour
2tsp baking powder
4 medium eggs
100ml/4fl oz milk

FOR THE FILLING
150g/6oz rasperberry jam
180ml/6fl oz mascarpone

FOR THE TOPPING
175g/7 oz icing sugar
i tbsp water
1tbsp lemon juice
1 drop red food colouring

1. the frosted petals are best done the day before. Gently break open the white and red rose and remove the smaller and most perfectly shaped petals. I use about 6 petals of each.

2. lay them on a tray and, using a pastry brush, brush them with egg white on one side only. i do not do the other side of the petal as i find it makes them lose thier shape and they look pretty enough like this! Lay them on the tray and simply sprinkle over the caster sugar until they have a lovely frosted look. Leave them in a warm place over night to dry.

3. Pre heat oven to 170oC/325oF/GM3

4. Lightly grease 2 (8") cake tine

5. Place all the sponge ingredients in a large bowl and stir together until you have a smooth mixture

6. tip this all into the cake tins, evenly divided between the 2, smooth over the top

7. bake in the oven for 25-30 mins, until the centre of hte sponge rises to the touch and the cake shrinks around the edges.

8. remove from the oven. run a knife around each tin edge and slip out. slide the sponges off the bases. Leave on wire rack to cool.

9. spread the jam over the top of the bottom half, be generous

10. in order not to get into a huge mess, rather than topping the jam with mascarpone i tend to layer this onto the bottom of the top half, again generously, and then sandwich the 2 halfs together.

11. mix together the ingredients for the icing. The water and lemon juice give it a fresh taste and keep it from being sickly sweet. You may add a little more water if it is too stiff. Add the food colouring for the desired shade.

12. Carefully smooth the icing over the top of the cake.

13. Arrange the rose petals on top, carefully pushing them into the icing so they stay in place. leave to set. a pink dream

jetmonkey Mon 04-Jul-11 22:53:50

lovely moist Carrot cake with lashings of icing smile
Its technically a vegetable

Jux Mon 04-Jul-11 23:12:57

Fernly-Whittingstall does a beautiful ginger cake. It's a hell of a faff but well worth it. If you were to make it, make two lots of the syrupy sugary stuff and pour it over the cake once baked, but before it's removed from the tin. It is utterly utterly yum.

bigTillyMint Tue 05-Jul-11 06:45:58

jetmonkey, I was thinking about carrot and banana cake, or even chocolate courgette cake which is divine and not at all courgettey, but DD has decided on the vanilla jobby - very similar to the Tana Ramsey one - thanks Pinner, extra large, of coursesmile

pinkcupcakefairy Tue 05-Jul-11 17:11:30

My favourite vanilla cake is this

Everyone who has tasted it has said its the best vanilla cake and it stays moist for days.

bigTillyMint Tue 05-Jul-11 19:03:21

Ooooh pink, I was going to do a Nigella one, but that looks really good and I have all the ingredients!

Do you make it in one big tin like the recipe says and then cut it through to fill (I hate doing this as it is so tricky blush)? And it looks like royal icing/ fondant on top - what do you use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now