Talk

Advanced search

Dd age 2.8m fussy about vegs

(7 Posts)
Fifi32 Fri 01-Jul-11 17:04:36

Hi I'm new to mn so bear with me. My dd will not eat a single veg I keep offering her the usual carrots, peas, sweetcorn, peppers etc. But no avail not a bit interested. Will eat fruit no problem, dairy, wholegrains, potatoes pasta etc which I'm happy about but eating no vegs is starting to worry me. She would have eat all her vegs when she was a baby as I and dh made are own purees. What do u think I should do about this

cybboid Fri 01-Jul-11 17:23:57

Whizz them up in food processor/blender/sieve whatever and mix them into everything, pasta sauce, homemade pizza topping etc

Tis normal to get fussy at that age

TheOriginalFAB Fri 01-Jul-11 17:25:14

Blend up with some cheese and milk and stir through some pasta or mix with rice.

hillyhilly Fri 01-Jul-11 17:28:00

and largely, ignore, ignore, ignore, just keep serving them and don't stress or bargain about it, they all do it and its just a phase

stantonjulie Sat 02-Jul-11 12:53:47

I have a 2 year old who will only eat pasta (no veg, no potato, no rice, nothing that isn't pasta really). How does this happen. She used to eat everything. should I stop serving pasta - i tried last weekend to keep serving different stuff and if she didn't eat take it away and she went hungry. Which is what she did - all weekend (ie didn't eat other than breakfast - the other thing she eats). this has been going for 6m. dont get it my partner and i only eat healthy food (and I hardly ever eat pasta). I did a shep pie today (she used to love it). She wont even try it so has gone to bed with nothing.

RabidRabbit Sun 03-Jul-11 06:46:10

Dear god, don't send a 2 year old to bed with nothing in her stomach sad choose your battles. Yes it is infuriating when they refuse the lovely dishes you serve them - but you have to remember it is just a phase, a very trying one, but a phase nonetheless.

If she wants to eat pasta, then let her eat pasta. Just experiment with different sauces etc for it and keep offering different foods without making a big deal out of it if she refuses. I'd much prefer my DD (also 2) only ate pasta than nothing at all, it could be a lot worse. But honestly, don't send her to bed on an empty stomach. I feel awful for her just reading that.

rodformyownback Sun 03-Jul-11 16:24:49

My DS1 ate almost nothing but pasta between about 10 months and 2.5 years, I really feel your pain because it was awful. I tried the hidden veg sauce approach but found he would reject the whole dish if there was something there he disapproved of. The summer before last, the only fruit he would eat were blackberries straight off the bush - we couldn't even pick them and take them home or he would reject them! he would only eat pesto from a jar, not homemade. He eats almost anything now aged 3.5 but is still funny about some textures - he won't touch shepherd's pie and wouldn't dream of going near anything that resembles a puree such as porridge or soup.
Things that worked seemed to happen by accident, but I'll list some of the factors that have led him to trying more and more new things:
- Growing our own. Nothing big, cress first that went in egg sandwiches, then rocket and basil (he likes strong tastes).
- Raw veg, especially red or yellow peppers that are just like fruit really.
- Getting him to help with cooking. Things like peppers, courgette and mushroom can be chopped with a plastic knife. Ds eats them as he's going along.
- Mr Bloom on Cbeebies. Pretty poor programme overall if you ask me, but since watching it ds has agreed to try Sebastian, Colin and Raymond!
It is so demoralising when you keep offering lovely food and they just shove it back in your face and it's hard to know what to do for the best. My family all thought I indulged ds by taking pasta and pesto everywhere we went, but I just wasn't prepared to let him go hungry. And like I said, he'll try most things now so I like to think we must have done something right.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now