Talk

Advanced search

Watch Out for Innocent Smoothie 'Con'

(42 Posts)
RuralLass Thu 30-Jun-11 12:53:21

Just wanted to warn you folks, in these 'tighter purse strings' days, that the product volumes of Innocent Smoothies have just changed. They used to do 1L sizes & have now introduced 750ml (25% less) &,for a handful of flavours, a bigger 1.25L. Watch out, though, 'cos the 750ml size is all but identical to the old 1L carton (mere mms diff - I wish I could upload the photo I've taken - it would make you hoot) shock
I bought 3 cartons & so have, in effect, got a full 750ml carton less than I'd expected. Oh & that was for the exact same money, of course. All supermarkets I've checked on line are selling new smaller version for same price as old 1L one, without mentioning size difference. angry

WhipMeIndiana Thu 30-Jun-11 12:54:24

wow. hmm smoothie sleaze.

Peachy Thu 30-Jun-11 12:57:44

It's not good but you know, the only way I an stop ds1 (autistic) bashing me on a meltdown is by rearrnaging his innocent magnets so he panics and sets to rearrnaging them back into order, thereby distracting hhimself: looks like I will be conned then! Better that than the alternatives.

RuralLass Thu 30-Jun-11 13:13:34

It's a bummer..... I really enjoy the products but this kind of sideways con, especially at a time like this, really rubs me up the wrong way.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 30-Jun-11 15:27:58

They were talking about this on R4 the other day. Apparently even though production costs have risen, they've not increased the RRP for Innocent ever (or something).

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Thu 30-Jun-11 15:31:37

Story on Innocent's own website here

I never buy it anyway (unless it's ridiculously reduced). I am a tightarse. DS drinks squash grin

LadyGrace Thu 30-Jun-11 22:13:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JoleneJoleneJoleneJoleeene Thu 30-Jun-11 22:17:04

Copella did this about a year ago.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 22:18:17

750ml is a good size for those who've always struggled to finish our 1L cartons.

What a load of old toffee. That's not being transparent. They might not have hidden that they've done it but don't treat us like idiots.

We've made that carton smaller because it was the easiest way to get the same amount of money out of you is the actual reason. And anyone who pays £3.69 for 1.25l of any drink other than vintage champagne needs their head examined.

MmeLindor. Thu 30-Jun-11 22:21:33

"Since we launched our 1L carton in 2004 we have not increased our prices. In that time lots of things have happened which mean it now costs more to make our drinks than it used to (namely, fruit prices have gone up, and we use quite a bit of fruit)."

So in 7 years they have not increased their prices? You really cannot blame them for raising prices slightly now then, can you?

BikeRunSki Thu 30-Jun-11 22:22:27

In these austere times, Innocent Smoothies are hardly a grocery essential.

(although I appreciate point about autistic DC and magnets).

LadyGrace Thu 30-Jun-11 22:24:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 22:24:55

No one blames them but don't wrap it up in marketing crap.

PPPop Thu 30-Jun-11 22:26:27

I don't think innocent are the only company that have done this. It's a bit sneaky though. I balk at the price of innocent cartons though and I guess a lot of people would just not buy if the price rose above a certain point.

GwendolineMaryLacey Thu 30-Jun-11 22:27:02

Ooh I'm really angry tonight grin

mercibucket Thu 30-Jun-11 22:29:18

it was £2 special offer in morrisons and i didn't notice it was the smaller carton til I got home - cheeky buggers - it's happening with a lot of food now though - got to check the 'bargains' so carefully.

littleducks Thu 30-Jun-11 22:30:37

I am not surprised, they arent the same company at all since they were bought by Coca Cola

MmeLindor. Thu 30-Jun-11 22:32:18

mercibuckets
RRP is £2.79 so if it is on special offer for £2, I don't see why anyone can complain.

I feel sorry for companies sometimes. They are in business to make money. If their costs go up then they have to raise prices. That is life.

toutlemonde Thu 30-Jun-11 22:39:10

mercibucket I also got on special offer someplace and was taken in by it. Annoying. Well the extra pennies they got out of me by that crappy marketing trick are the last pennies I'll ever be spending on innocent products. I'm off coppella too for the same reason.

mercibucket Thu 30-Jun-11 22:41:11

I wasn't impressed tbh - ooh how exciting innocent smoothie for bargain price - oh, it's 1/4 less product than I thought when I bought it. hmmm, wonder if the packet deliberately doesn't make that clear or not, hmmmmm

MmeLindor. Thu 30-Jun-11 22:46:21

I don't get it.

Yes, it is slightly more expensive, but it is the first time in 7 years that they have put up their prices.

As an aside, they cost £3.89 in Switzerland, so I am very jealous of £2.

SootySweepandSue Thu 30-Jun-11 22:50:12

I used to work in food. Believe me this is commonplace. Manufacturers don't even have to mention it if it is less than 10% I seem to recall.

It protects manufacturer profits, ie, costs go up so produce less and charge the same. My old company (thankfully I have now left) has had phenomenal growth even with the recession due to this and other practices.

Consumers are duped. Just look at pence per gram/litre when you make choices and remember that with branded good you are paying for marketing support & fancier packaging & the inflated egos of many a marketing director and their fancy offices!

SootySweepandSue Thu 30-Jun-11 22:51:49

Oh and they would gave arranged special price deals to coincide with the packaging change in the hope that it is less noticeable!

SootySweepandSue Thu 30-Jun-11 23:00:38

A 25% reduction is massive though. The retailers would have wanted a split of their increased margins. I think as a business they must be struggling....

Nothing wrong with spending 5 mins with a blender and some apples, bananas and a bit of OJ smile

MmeLindor. Thu 30-Jun-11 23:06:36

Maybe sooty.

They should have sold it as being good for families as the larger carton is better value for money than the smaller one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now