Talk

Advanced search

beef one day out of date

(10 Posts)
soniaweir Thu 30-Jun-11 10:20:04

would you give to your children. it went out of date yesterday and was going to make meatballs with it. WWYD?

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 30-Jun-11 10:22:35

It is only a "Best Before" date, not a "Deadly Poisonous After" date. I would eat it, but don't let on to the kids.

mamalovebird Thu 30-Jun-11 10:26:34

I probably would. I generally go on the smell.
DH wouldn't though - he is militant when it comes to BB dates. Having worked as a food buyer for a few years, I'm aware they're only a guide but he has none of it. He won't even use milk that's been opened, but that a seperate issue!

Macaroona Thu 30-Jun-11 10:29:25

Sniff it and look at it. If it's gone soft and pale brown in places, and smells sweet or just 'not right', chuck it. A day out of date isn't reason to chuck it though.

What cut is it? I have thrown out in date chicken if it is in strips and smells sweet and rank, and minced beef if it goes light brownish or greenish before being out of date. Decent beef stored well should be fine, but you need to be able to trust your judgement.

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Thu 30-Jun-11 10:31:26

it'll be fine and I sued to not eat things the DAY BEFORE the date

chicken can carry salmonella which is killled by thorough cooking

all meat can go off but it wont make you ill it will just taste rank

TrinIsASadSpottyFatRhino Thu 30-Jun-11 10:31:49

used not sued

soniaweir Thu 30-Jun-11 11:40:35

it's mince and it's a use by not bb. it's gone a little bit brown and the smell is quite strong but i think it's usual for minced beef? Help! i want to make meat balls tonight!

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 30-Jun-11 13:50:14

Use it!

jenniec79 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:51:13

Yes.

Make sure cooked through, but you'd do that anyway.

Macaroona Thu 30-Jun-11 15:35:43

Erm I wouldn't personally if it smells tbh, not mince. I'm sure it'll do you no harm as long as you cook it through, but it'll taste bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now