Talk

Advanced search

Fibre-filled "bars" and scones - stealth health - for constipated 3yo DD

(8 Posts)
Onmyhighchairhorse Tue 28-Jun-11 22:01:22

Sorry to mention bottoms in the recipe section - but I need ideas on fibre-filled but healthy snacks for "sluggish" DD age 3yo. She likes cereal bars and scones, but I don't want to give her too much sugar.. Can you recommend any recipes for this type of thing? Or any other recipes for stealth fibre - she is fussy, tiny and underweight so high cal is fine...
TIA

thisisyesterday Tue 28-Jun-11 22:06:35

be careful what type of fibre you give, some forms can make constipation worse.

we found that things like weetabix really bunged ds1 up (as did bananas) so it might be worth looking at her diet to see if there is anything making her constipation worse.

oh just remembered a good tip someone gave me which is to eat a big apple, including skin. it always works to get my lot going, so it's an apple a day here :=grin

would love to help with recipes, but all of mine seem a bit high on the sugar side lol

fergoose Wed 29-Jun-11 21:46:33

I make flapjack, but go easy on the sugar and add dried fruit like apricots, dates, currants, prunes and/or sultanas. Naturally sweet from the fruit so you can reduce the added sugar. Much better for you and loads cheaper than cereal bars.

Herecomesthesciencebint Thu 30-Jun-11 22:39:13

nigella does a fab and dead easy breakfast bar in her express book. you tip a can of condensed milk (can use the light version) into microwaveable bowl and zap for 15secs to loosen then stir in whatever mixed,chopped fruit or nuts you fancy. Apricots good especially the brown organic type ones as less sweet. Grated apple, sesame seds, coconut you name it! then bulk up with oats to a loose flapjack type conistency and put in a sqaure tin and bake low approx 140 fan for about 30-40mins.

Or how about smoothies? you can add some oats if needed.

veg has heaps of fibre in. Make veg burgers or rostis and a dipping sauce? hidden veg pureed tomato sauce/soup?

avoid bananas they are very constipating.

encouarge fluid++++

Onmyhighchairhorse Fri 01-Jul-11 21:34:22

ooh thanks - had forgotten about the existence of flapjack but that sounds ideal and the nigella thing looks great - though I trialled her (lovely) pear muffins today (with minimal ginger) and the verdict from DD1 was that they were "disgusting" - "next time do them without the pear"!! DD2 did nibble but generally they are ungrateful wretches! so we shall see.....

AutumnWitch Fri 01-Jul-11 21:37:52

Try this book - Red velvet chocolate heartache - low sugar, low fat cakes and scones made with vegetables.

I love it (mentioned it before, so probably ought to be on commission smile)

AutumnWitch Fri 01-Jul-11 21:40:19

... forgot to say, they have proper butter and sugar laden icings - yum

Taffeta Sat 02-Jul-11 12:50:14

I'm making these this weekend with my raspberry glut

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now