Talk

Advanced search

Simple Nigerian dish/Chicken and rice

(18 Posts)
Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 14:34:30

Hi,
We have my husband's brother coming with his family to see us from Nigeria tomorrow and in my experience his family don't usually like eating English food (sad thats another story!) so was wondering if someone can give me a simple recipe for a buffet type meal?
I need to be able to get the ingredients in the supermarket really.

Many thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 23-Jun-11 17:32:53

Don't you just love fussy houseguests... hmm. Simple buffet is easy enough to put together ... roast chicken pieces, quiches, cooked meats, crusty bread, jacket potatoes, salad greens, sliced tomatoes with mozarella, etc... Otherwise, hand the saucepans to DH and tell him to get cracking smile

Xiaoxiong Thu 23-Jun-11 18:19:08

I'm a bit confused - do you want a simple recipe that involves chicken and rice, a recipe for a Nigerian dish called "chicken and rice", or a simple recipe for a buffet type meal?

I'd either:
do a chicken curry (whatever recipe you like, this one looks good: www.mumsnet.com/Recipes/i/919-Easy-Chicken-Curry)
tell DH to cook for his brother
go out for dinner.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:17:53

lol Cogito - if he knew how I would! grin
Sorry Tyel
Basically whenever I go to his family I usually get chicken and rice of some kind, They cook it in a special way but I don't know how to do it, so wondered if anyone else knew how they cook it.
Having said that I could try and make my own recipe up of chicken and rice - something not too sloppy so that they can go and take it from the table to the sofa - mmm Im confusing myself now!
If we went out I wouldn't be considered a very good hostess I don't think!

Or I could just stuff the chicken and rice thing and do something I know and hope they try it!
I will definately have a look at that curry recipe though.

bigTillyMint Thu 23-Jun-11 19:20:44

I can ask at work for you, but won't find out till tomorrow - is that any good?

frantic51 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:21:06

Just googled it for you. Looks simple enough and all ingredients readily available. here

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 19:30:05

Big tilly, I think if it's the morning (they will be here for tea I am guessing)
and I would need to go and buy the stuff.

Thanks frantic, Jellof rice it will probably be! I read all the arguments underneath too. I have made this before and have been told 'its not the way we cook it!' At least you have reminded me of what sort of recipe to look at though thanks.

thisisyesterday Thu 23-Jun-11 19:37:40

oh seriously... "it's not the way we cook it?"

how fucking rude!

i dare you to go and stay with them and then turn your noses up at their nigerian food and if they make something English tell them "that's not the way i cook it"

sounds to me like they'll be rude and ungrateful whatever you do, so i would go with something simple and quick and let them moan if they want.

bigTillyMint Thu 23-Jun-11 19:59:10

I will try to remember to ask and post!

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:14:45

Thanks very much Tilly, thats kind of you.smile

Thisisyesterday, I know it is very frustrating and DH knows how I feel about it. I think it's rude too especially when they won't even try it (this has happened before when I have cooked and they didn't even want to try)
I have not yet met this brother and his wife so maybe they will be ok with it. I will be upset again though if I spend ages cooking a meal and they don't eat because like you say its a two way street!
I shall have to report back to you tomorrow night!

Bunbaker Thu 23-Jun-11 20:22:04

I think you are on dodgy ground trying to replicate a meal that your guests would get at home. If I went to Nigeria I wouldn't want my host to cook roast beef and Yorkshire pudding. If they won't eat English food why not try something from another country - India for example or a Morroccan tagine with cous-cous.

msrisotto Thu 23-Jun-11 20:31:46

Gawd, they sound like they're going to hate whatever you put infront of them, on principle. How horrible. Go out and split the bill.

ifaistos Thu 23-Jun-11 20:40:19

I agree with bunbaker, you're inviting comparisons if you try and replicate their dish. If they're nice they'll appreciate the thoughtful gesture but sounds like you think they might not be so polite. I used to live with a Nigerian girl who would say what I cooked (European food) just tasted very bland to her. She'd always prefer tomato based stuff and very spicy. So you could try something spicy like mexican chile maybe? Or just sod what they think, do what's easiest for you and don't let them get you down.

renlo Thu 23-Jun-11 20:44:19

Why not ask your dh what his brother and wife would like to eat and it's something Nigerian, ask him to help you make it so you can get it 'right'? He should know after all. If not, do a whole roast bird with all the trimmings and get some pepper sauce of some description (one of my very good friends is Nigerian heritage and she puts pepper sauce on EVERYTHING!). Make sure there is lots of alcohol (unless they are teetotal in which case good luck!). If they are good peoples, they will appreciate the effort. In all honesty, I'd be very surprised if they were expecting you to throw down like a native! Relax and enjoy the visit.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:46:24

I know bunbaker and ifaistos sad
I could try the morrocan Tangine idea, I do like that.
I think also the problem is that because they will be visiting and staying with Nigerian people during their stay. I am probably the only one who they will come to who won't be cooking Nigerian or in fact is not Nigerian. I don't know for sure though but thats generally the case.

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 20:49:38

Well just asked hubby and he told me to do what I am comfortable doing and if they don't eat it they can go hungry! smile
I think I will do a buffet thing with small bits and pieces (salads,pork pies ect) and some of the couscous with lamb. How about it?

renlo Thu 23-Jun-11 20:56:25

Sounds good and your husbands advice sounds very sensible. Just don't forget the hot sauce!

Ivortheengine8 Thu 23-Jun-11 21:01:40

Ok Renlo! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now