Talk

Advanced search

Easy cakey things

(5 Posts)
mistressploppy Wed 22-Jun-11 14:37:34

I've volunteered to make the cakes for toddler group next week and I'm scared!

I'm not a cake-baker <wibble>

The nice ladies said I could buy them if I preferred but I feel that's a bit infra dig. I need to make one cake/batch of something for the mums and one for the tots.

Any suggestions for something foolproof yet suitably impressive? I live in a small village so this is Most Important to get right grin

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 22-Jun-11 14:53:36

Nigella Lawson's clementine cake for the parents. You have to cook the clementines/oranges for two hours, but if you're at home anyway it's easy because you just leave them to simmer gently. And they make your house smell amazing. It's very easy to make as you just blend everything. It's wheat-free so suitable for fussy neurotics people with intolerances, and also because it's wheat-free it's not too bulky and filling so you can eat more!

I'm suggesting it for parents as it does have a lovely orangey bitter quality to it that kids might not like. I'm not so up on easy things that are kid-friendly, but muffins are good because they actually work better if the mixture is a bit lumpy and not that well mixed.

Good luck and enjoy!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 22-Jun-11 15:01:29

Do you have a bread maker? Do you have any shame? wink

Ds made up one these in my bread maker t'other day and it was rather nice. It cost £1.50 and involve sticking it in the breadmaker with some water and oil I think.

Other than that, you can't (often) go wrong with lemon drizzle cake. There's a recipe on MN somewhere - another good one here

mistressploppy Wed 22-Jun-11 18:42:21

Ohhh, you stars smile

Right, am going to attempt make lemon drizzle for the parents and mini-muffins for the tots.

If all goes well I'm going to make that orangey one for me and DH!

msrisotto Wed 22-Jun-11 18:44:11

Do forgive the source of the link but this stuff is to die for.
www.netmums.com/food/Tiffin.846/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now