Talk

Advanced search

fajita seasoning

(11 Posts)
storminabuttercup Wed 22-Jun-11 08:25:04

any one have a good recipe? i usually use the shwartz (sp?) ones which seem better than the powder ones, (fresher some how maybe because they use whole spices) but i dont have any and really cant face tesco today, does anyone have a recipe i can use i have pretty much every spice known to man so maybe i can be weaned off the ready mixed stuff?

schroeder Wed 22-Jun-11 11:37:24

lurk

storminabuttercup Wed 22-Jun-11 11:50:32

oh schroeder, i thought you had a recipe for me then grin

ive looked through my recipe books and the ingredients vary vastly (some i dont have) so i'm going to do it like this, will brown chicken, then chuck in peppers onion and garlic and fry them off, then add crushed dried chilli, crushed cumin seeds, oregano and a bit of lime zest and a squeeze of lime juice. hopefully they will be yummy!

schroeder Wed 22-Jun-11 12:03:18

Sorry to have got you excited for nothing. grin
Your recipe sounds pretty good, I think I asked this question before on here so I will do a little search for ya.

If I remember correctly most people thought that the little packets were the only way to gohmm.

Seona1973 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:47:25

we usualy use the discovery packet mix (sorry!)

storminabuttercup Wed 22-Jun-11 12:57:50

i have nothing against the packets, i just cant be arsed to go out grin

storminabuttercup Wed 22-Jun-11 13:06:38

im adding ground coriander too, was going to add dried coriander leaf but it was ood and smelt like nothing!

bigbadbarry Wed 22-Jun-11 13:13:09

That sounds perfect: chilli, oregano, cumin and lemon zest is kind of what is in the mix I believe. Yours will be lovely smile

Seona1973 Wed 22-Jun-11 13:25:48

this recipe is in one of dh's cookbooks:

Fajita marinade
2 green chillies chopped finely (optional)
1 clove of garlic chopped finely
half teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
quarter teaspoon oregano
quarter teaspoon ground cumin
quarter teaspoon black pepper
half bottle mexican beer/lager

mix above in a blender and marinade meat for at least 2 hours before cooking with peppers, onions, etc

storminabuttercup Wed 22-Jun-11 14:37:47

hope so bbb!

thanks seona, my chicken is not quite defrosted so wont have time to to mainade but i am bookmarking to try next time, also an excuse to but some modello beer if i can find it!

storminabuttercup Wed 22-Jun-11 20:40:42

UPDATE

Missed out the garlic because i forgot, but used everything else and they were yummy, but i think i used a bit too much chilli flakes, they were hot hot hot! DP was well impressed!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now