Talk

Advanced search

OK from reading too many crappy books.What is Poutine and what are Po Boy Sandwiches?

(7 Posts)
MavisEnderby Wed 22-Jun-11 00:06:09

Well??

AitchTwoOh Wed 22-Jun-11 00:09:26

po boy's just a long roll, iirc.

Rollmops Wed 22-Jun-11 00:10:18

Poutine is chips with fresh cheese and gravy. From Quebec. Food from heavens if one is a student.

OneHelluvaBroad Wed 22-Jun-11 00:11:00

A Po Boy is a type of sandwich made with French bread, typical New Orleans fare and popular in some other southern states areas, too. You can pout anything in it, but shrimp and/or something meaty is most common. Not to my taste at all, btw <boak>

No clue what Poutine is. Something else from Nawlins? Are you reading James Lee Burke? grin

MavisEnderby Wed 22-Jun-11 00:14:05

Oksmile I love trashy crime fic and those I have read recently (Kathy reichs,french canadian stuff) has lots of Potine eating in her books. James Lee Burke books appear to have Po Boy Sandwiches as the food of choice for his detectives.(American south).I feel the name must have a story...and I'm hungry!!!

MavisEnderby Wed 22-Jun-11 00:18:03

Actually I think JLB writes beautifully about NO makes me want to go there.The one he wrote about post Katrina was amazing.Good writer.

fatlazymummy Wed 22-Jun-11 09:21:32

I love James Lee Burke. I think he's a fine writer, not trashy at all. I think a po'boy sandwich has cooked oysters in it, in a baguette. I saw the hairy bikers do one. They sort of dipped the oysters in breadcrumbs then deepfried them. They also did one with a version of prawn cocktail [it was a little bit more spicy than the usual one]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now