Talk

Advanced search

What are the top sellers at school cake sales, in your opinion?

(126 Posts)
littlelapin Tue 21-Jun-11 15:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dexter73 Tue 21-Jun-11 15:58:17

Rice crispy or cornflake cakes were always very popular at dd's primary school.

ErinGoBraLess Tue 21-Jun-11 15:59:44

Cornflake pie. I made three trays last year and they went within a hour. I have requests for even more this year.

littlelapin Tue 21-Jun-11 15:59:50

Bloodymary Tue 21-Jun-11 15:59:51

Somebody in our village makes the most fantastic lemon drizzle cake, there is usually a bit of a scrum around them.

Mummyisamonster Tue 21-Jun-11 16:00:08

Whole Victoria sponges - or slices- always do well. Same for banana bread.

I agree with you over the cupcake thing at school fetes. Kids like the fairy cake/decorated stuff whilst parents (ie; the ones with more dosh) prefer something to take home with them.

Have fun

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 16:00:47

I think that Brownies are really cost/time effective. Or any kind of tray bakes.

CroissantNeuf Tue 21-Jun-11 16:02:47

IME the children tend to go for decorated cakes eg. rice crispy cake or fairy cake with Cadburys Mini Eggs/Smarties/mini marshmallows on top

psiloveyou Tue 21-Jun-11 16:02:48

I always run the cake stall at shool fetes <<yes I know get a life>> smile

Cup cakes are always the best sellers. If you don't want to do those then the rice crispie cakes are probably second best sellers.

My mum always makes us a tray of butterfly cakes which sell like, well like hot cakes grin

littlelapin Tue 21-Jun-11 16:04:35

Euphemia Tue 21-Jun-11 16:06:07

Mmm cake

ErinGoBraLess Tue 21-Jun-11 16:06:47

Its a shortbread crust blind baked, spread with red jam, topped with corflakes that have been mixed with melted butter, syrup and sugar. Devastatingly delicious and bad for your waistline. Do you want the recipe? grin

lagrandissima Tue 21-Jun-11 16:07:56

lemon drizzle, mmmm smile

ErinGoBraLess Tue 21-Jun-11 16:08:31

Shortcrust Pastry: Cheat and buy ready made or use this gorgeous but very fatty recipe.

180g of Flour
40g of Margarine
40g of Lard
30ml of Water

Filling:

110g of Syrup
80g of Cornflakes
110g of Red Jam (strawberry or raspberry)
40g of Margarine
30g of Sugar

Method

Line the tart trays with the shortcrust pastry and crimp the edges.
Prick the pastry and bake the cases blind, for approximately 20 minutes at 400F/200C.
Melt the margarine, sugar and syrup in a double saucepan, then stir in the cornflakes.
Spread a thin layer of jam over the pastry cases and place the cornflake mixture on top.
Return the tarts to the oven for 5 minutes to allow the mixture to set.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 21-Jun-11 16:09:05

My cupcakes aren't icing heavy - I just don't put that much icing on them! Maybe I'm stingy and behind the times;it's how I was brought up, but I do a lovely fudgey frosting and just spread a layer on top - not like those really tall cupcakes you buy in the shops - I really don't like that much icing!

Thanks for the timely thread, it's our school fair on Sat and I need to get baking this week. Was thinking brownies too.

And are you back after a long absence lapin, or have a just not "seen" you on here for ages?

mrsbabookaloo Tue 21-Jun-11 16:09:44

"I" not "a" - preview before posting babookaloo!

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 16:13:15

Two Traybakes are fantastic. My mum used to make them, so they are called Lesley's Choc Cake and Janet's Fudge Cake after her friends who gave her the recipes.

crazygracieuk Tue 21-Jun-11 16:14:03

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5369/smarties-cookies is really easy and very popular. You can make them smaller and with fewer smarties than suggested.

I'd love to know how to do cost effective brownies. Is there a secret like value chocolate?

dexter73 Tue 21-Jun-11 16:14:30

Chocolate crispy cakes for sure - and they're easy!

crazygracieuk Tue 21-Jun-11 16:14:49

Clickable link

crazygracieuk Tue 21-Jun-11 16:16:13

Forgot to say that I agree with your observations about cupcake. I worry about the icing melting in the heat.

FriskyBivalves Tue 21-Jun-11 16:20:40

Lapin, you're back! I'm a name-changer but good to see you on the boards again grin

MmeLindor. Tue 21-Jun-11 16:24:02

Cost effective is perhaps only possible in Switzerland - they were selling HUGE bags of choc in the supermarket last week really cheap.

grin at Lapin lining up little girls in a Girl Guiding bakery assembly line.

SenoritaViva Tue 21-Jun-11 16:27:00

lapin You've made me laugh in the last few days, thank you.

Mollymax Tue 21-Jun-11 16:38:08

i use sainsburys and tesco value chocolate for baking. It is fine. Cheaper even than cooking choc and contains more cocoa solids.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now