Talk

Advanced search

why are my danish pastries not lovely?

(5 Posts)
schroeder Tue 21-Jun-11 14:09:03

So yes I know I must be crazy, but I have spent all day nearly so far making maple pecan pin wheels. Am so disappointed that they are not soft and buttery, but just bland and a bit hard. <pout>

Where have I gone wrong? Is there anything that can be done-icing maybe?

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 21-Jun-11 14:45:02

It may be that, like bread, the crust softens with time. Try putting them in a plastic bag for an hour and see if that softens them.

Xiaoxiong Tue 21-Jun-11 14:46:26

I think danish pastry doesn't use normal puff pastry, but uses something slightly more buttery and has yeast in it too which makes it soft. The recipe I found here seems to confirm that:
blog.kitchenmage.com/2005/12/eventiniertowns.html

Drizzled icing or a sugar glaze will definitely help up the sweetness factor though!

Xiaoxiong Tue 21-Jun-11 14:47:43

PS and if you did use a yeasted dough, maybe you didn't let it rise for long enough?

schroeder Tue 21-Jun-11 16:06:02

this is the recipe. ds had one when he got home from school and said it was yummy, but he will eat anythinghmm

I made a simple icing with icing sugar maple syrup and water and have drizzled some on. I will taste test again after tea, maybe they'll be ok then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now