Talk

Advanced search

A child friendly marinade for ribs please

(7 Posts)
deaconblue Sun 19-Jun-11 20:22:09

I think ds will like spare ribs but my mum reckons you can't do them without a marinade. He won't like anything spicy and all my recipes are. Need something heavy on the tomato ketchup/ sweet flavour please

NoodieRoodie Sun 19-Jun-11 20:33:34

have a look on "Something for the Weekend" web site, a couple of months ago they did some that had a dry marinade/rub that are really really good.

The recipe has chilli and garlic powder in but at the time Louise Rednapp asked about serving it for her children and was told either to leave these out or tone down the amounts used.

NoodieRoodie Sun 19-Jun-11 20:34:55

Have found the link

www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/parprika_glazed_ribs_01985

LetThereBeRock Sun 19-Jun-11 21:31:41

Nigella's chicken and ribs. You could use just ribs of course.

AnonymousBird Mon 20-Jun-11 18:52:31

When in a real hurry, we used a mix of brown sauce, ketchup and some honey and brushed on. DC went wild for it, so if I am feeding them, I now don't bother with anything more sophisticated than that.

And it takes less than a minute!

I have always done the following for my DC and they (ranging from 17 down to 2) would happily eat them every day.

Firstly I simmer the ribs for about half an hour in a half strength chicken stock. Leave them to cool while making the marinade.

I can't really give amounts, but will give rough - it really is a trial and error (every time) and I just taste as I mix away. This is enough for a rack to 1½ racks (about 14-18 or so).

6 tbls tomato ketchup
1½ tbls honey or maple syrup
good splash of soy sauce
½ tsp sesame oil
½ tsp sunflower oil
1 fat clove of garlic, crushed or microplaned
splash worcester sauce (or not)

Give it all a good stir and taste and adjust accordingly. Sometimes I'll throw a bit of ginger (grated) and five spice in for a more Chinese-y flavour.

Marinade the ribs overnight (or at least a couple of hours) and then cook at 180 for about 15-20 minutes - they will essentially be cooked from the simmering, this just makes them more delicious. If BBQ-ing I always do 10 minutes in the oven and then lob them on the BBQ for maybe another 5 or 6.

Add chilli for grown up ones.

deaconblue Tue 21-Jun-11 12:29:26

thanks everyone so much, can't wait to give these a try

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now