Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lemon cake advice

(5 Posts)
starrychime Sat 18-Jun-11 20:13:56

Have just caught the baking bug smile and I fancy making a sort of lemon drizzle cake. Have seen a few recipies for the cake bit and I plan to sandwich 2 sponges together and do the lemony drizzle bit over the top. I heard Mascarpone cheese makes a good filling so how do I make it into a nice creamy lemony filling please - I have the cheese, icing sugar, butter, lemons, lemon juice - any advice?

feedthegoat Sun 19-Jun-11 17:13:16

This is slightly different to what you describe but is lovely. It always gets compliments.

Bunbaker Sun 19-Jun-11 17:16:35

Personally I think a lemon drizzle cake doen't need a filling. I would either make a plain lemon drizzle cake or a lemon victoria sponge and spread some mascarpone and a layer of lemon curd as a filling. I would just sprinkle the top with castor sugar.

If you want a recipe just let me know.

starrychime Mon 20-Jun-11 22:06:19

Just saw the replies. Bunbaker if you have a nice simple lemon victoria sponge recipie that would be great - could I add lemon juice and icing sugar to the mascarpone to make the filling instead of buying lemon curd do you think?

Bunbaker Tue 21-Jun-11 07:27:53

6 oz butter/margarine
6 oz sugar
6 oz SR flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 large eggs
grated rind of one lemon

Filling
mascarpone
lemon curd

Preheat oven to gas mark 4, 180 deg/160 deg fan oven. Grease and base line 2 x 7 inch tins with baking parchment (not greaseproof paper as it sticks).

Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until thoroughly blended. Don't overmix or the cake won't rise very well. I never use the time consuming creaming method any more as the extra baking powder does all the work and this method gives more reliable results.

Place the mixture in the sandwich tins and bake for about 25 minutes or until well risen and a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.

Leave to cool in the tins for a few minutes and then turn out.

You could try adding lemon juice and icing sugar to the mascarpone, but it might make it too runny, so try adding a little at a time. IMO it is the addition of the lemon curd layer that makes this cake so lemony and lifts it from an ordinary lemon cake to a truly delicious luscious lemon cake.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now