Talk

Advanced search

Cream cheese frosting quantity

(3 Posts)
Barbeasty Fri 17-Jun-11 13:40:16

I'm making a hungry caterpillar cake for DD's birthday and trying to work out how much icing I will need.

I've seen the recipe for 12 cup cakes, (300g icing sugar; 50g butter; 125g cream cheese) and it says to double to cover top and sides of normal sized cake.

Does this sound right?

The design uses 6 cakes (6 single layers or equivillant to the cake of 3 filled Victoria sponges IYSWIM), so just want to check before I make what should turn out to be 5.7kg of icing!!

gastrognome Fri 17-Jun-11 13:47:56

Hi, is that the hummingbird recipe? If so, then a single quantity is enough to cover the top and sides of a standard size cake, in my experience. First time I tried doubling the quantity there was far too much frosting - it would have been over an inch thick had I used it all on the cake. so I had masses left over.
It is delicious though!

Barbeasty Fri 17-Jun-11 14:44:36

It is, but found online on the Ocado site.

Very glad I checked!

In this case I think I'll start with the ordinary quantity the day before the birthday, and I can always make more on the day if it's needed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now