Talk

Advanced search

Anyone make their own bagels?

(9 Posts)
overmydeadbody Thu 16-Jun-11 17:03:26

I am about to attempt some onion ones, what tips do you have?

Xiaoxiong Fri 17-Jun-11 09:46:39

Yes! I have (once). I used this recipe which is incredibly comprehensive with photos and loads of tips:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/09/bronx-worthy-bagels/

The only thing I would suggest about the onion bits is either to incorporate into the dough, or to use an egg wash to stick to the top (they didn't seem to just stick on the top without it).

Xiaoxiong Fri 17-Jun-11 09:46:50

Sorry link again: smittenkitchen.com/2007/09/bronx-worthy-bagels/

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 17-Jun-11 11:22:06

That recipe looks great. I will have to try it!

prolificwillybreeder Fri 17-Jun-11 13:19:38

Mmm bagels! I love them.
Will you come back to tell me how you got on? I'm a tad scared of making my own.

4merlyknownasSHD Fri 17-Jun-11 13:58:09

PWB, I have not yet made bagels, but I always work on the principle that if the ingredients are not poisonous, what you bake won't be either. Give it a whirl. Most failures can either be sliced very thinly and toasted (bread), or eaten hot with custard (cakes). One should never be scared of baking, provided you have time to have several attempts. Don't try something complicated for the first time when cooking for a wedding!

wahwahwah Fri 17-Jun-11 14:06:49

I do and they do come out odd shapes sometimes. Try making heart shaped ones! I cover them with poppy or sesame seeds.

prolificwillybreeder Fri 17-Jun-11 19:38:53

I think since I've had DC and currently pregnant, all baking has gone out the window and I've lost my confidence I think.
I will definitely give it a go as I am possibly slightly addicted to cinnamon and raisin bagels!

Heart shaped ones sound very sweet!

schroeder Sat 18-Jun-11 22:15:31

4merly it's a good theory, and my ds will eat it whatever it turns out like grin

I did make bagels once about 20 years ago, all I remember was it was a big faff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now