Talk

Advanced search

cooking with duck eggs

(6 Posts)
pregnantpause Thu 16-Jun-11 08:38:37

Thats it really. I want to bake cakes but only have duck egg, will it make a difference? I know they are larger than chicken eggs, but the recipe calls for large eggs anyway. Will the cake turn out okay?

dreamingofsun Thu 16-Jun-11 09:46:08

i've used them and i don't remember it making any difference. they are cheaper than chicken eggs at the butchers, which always seems odd

GentleOtter Thu 16-Jun-11 09:48:15

Duck eggs are lovely in sponges and fairy cakes. Delia always weighs her eggs then uses their weight to balance the rest of the ingredients.

bacon Thu 16-Jun-11 11:54:57

Fine, but dont quote me on this - dont use them for merginues as the whites are different to chicken and I remember reading dont use them too fresh. I have been desperate some days and picked up the chicken to grab the just laid egg!

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 16-Jun-11 12:36:43

PP, work on the weight of an egg. In other words, if the egg weighs 80gms, use 80gms each of flour, sugar and butter for each egg. You may want to check the total weight against the total weights mentioned in your recipe (a medium hen's egg usually weighs around 20gms - or 2ozs).

Bacon, I have always heard that you shouldn't use a fresh egg of any sort for meringues, although I have not made many, I leave those to my wife. I just eat them!

pregnantpause Thu 16-Jun-11 14:33:50

Great! I have excess duck eggs- I dont like them for eating, but have two good laying ducks. So I'll have a go at baking with them thengrin (ametuer cook)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now