Talk

Advanced search

Kitchenaid or magimix food processor

(13 Posts)
ComradeJing Wed 15-Jun-11 17:21:09

I want to knead dough, whip cream and egg whites, make dips, mix cakes and that sort of thing.

The kitchenaid one would match my kitchenaid mixer thingy that I plan to buy once I've left china.

Which do I buy? Future matchy matchy or probably better food processor?

dikkertjedap Wed 15-Jun-11 18:07:42

I like Magimix, very powerful motor which you need for dough etc. However, only draw back I find it that it only has one speed. Also, don't be fooled by the fact that it has three different size bowls as for almost everything the various attachments only fit the big bowl. In spite of this I think it is an excellent machine.

DonaAna Wed 15-Jun-11 19:52:34

I'm confused ComradeJing - Kitchen Aid mixer is the best thing on earth for baking needs - making dough, whipping cream and egg whites, mixing cakes. Food processor makes some of that but with flimsier and harder-to-assemble parts - and no bread doughs. Sounds like you don't need a food processor at all.

I have a KA mixer and a KA food processor. The latter is a beauty too but I use it for two things only - making pesto from scratch and grating/slicing/shredding. I love it, it's beautiful, but I don't use it all that often. Assembling and storing the parts is a drag. The KA mixer, on the other hand, only has three attachments (a hook, a whisk and a paddle), they require very little storage space and are very durable. I've had my KA mixer for about 10 years and I think it will last a lifetime. Not so sure about the food processor.

thisisyesterday Wed 15-Jun-11 19:57:39

you ought to be able to do all of that, apart from dips, with your mixer.....

i have a kitchenaid mixer which i love for making bread, cakes and all sorts

then I have a stick blender and a little kenwood food processor. I use the stick blender FAR more than the food processor because it's less faff to get out lol.
it's fine for pesto and dips and things like that

ComradeJing Wed 15-Jun-11 20:18:28

Yes I suppose it does look like I need the mixer most however for various reasons I need the slicing and chopping of the processor more than anything else and I find my stick blender rubbish at these tasks. So at this stage it's which food processor instead of fp vs mixer. Plus I'll never get the mixer on a flight back here.

has anyone used any of the mixer attachments for slicing or chopping?

Dona would you buy the food processor again?

DonaAna Thu 16-Jun-11 07:39:00

Yes, because the KA FP is a really beautiful object (mine is a lovely anthracite gray) and sturdy and useful too for slicing, grating and chopping. The inherent problem with FPs is that none of them dices nicely, and that's the function I'd need most. The KA FP is pretty easy to clean too. However, I probably wouldn't bake a lot with the FP. Too many fiddly parts.

Keep saving for the KA mixer though, it makes baking pizza, bread and cakes ridiculously easy and I've used it so much. It's my favorite kitchen appliance, and I have a lot.

Getting either is worthwhile only if you have sufficient counter space to keep them always at hand. Otherwise you probably cannot be bothered to get them out very often.

ComradeJing Thu 16-Jun-11 07:54:13

Thank you. I had a KA mixer when I lived in the UK but gave it to my mum when I moved over here as I just came out with a few suitcases. I'll get it again in the future.

ilovemykitchenaid Thu 16-Jun-11 08:14:35

I have both, use the kitchen aid for bread. egg whites, cakes and biscuits. I have the mincer and saugage stuffer attachement and also have the ice cream making bowl. I love it (check out the name)

Use my magimix 3200 for food prep and some alll in one cakes. Also great for margaritas. Never tried the magimix for egg white or bread.

If i had to choose just one i would go for the kithen aid. Use it 3 or 4 times a week.

karmakameleon Thu 16-Jun-11 20:08:38

I have the KA food processor and it looks great, but I wouldn't get it again. It's not very solid and I've had a couple of plasticy bits break and the bowl is crackered. All still usable but not great quality for a pretty hefty price.

karmakameleon Thu 16-Jun-11 20:08:57

cracked

DorsetCookingMum Fri 30-Sep-11 17:27:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

HarlotOTara Fri 30-Sep-11 17:31:42

I think Magimix makes KitchenAid food processors, I have a red Magimix one (4200 or something) but lust after a red KitchenAid mixer.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 30-Sep-11 17:32:09

Dorsetcookingmum, stop spamming ffs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now