Talk

Advanced search

Need packed snack ideas for 4yo ds - I am out of inspiration...

(8 Posts)
HopeForTheBest Wed 15-Jun-11 14:32:23

and I'm sure it's all been done before, but I have 'flu, am feeling sorry for myself, and need to make a shopping list.
Please tell me what to get!

Ds has a good breakfast before Kindergarten, and is home again for lunch at 12.30.
He needs a small snack to eat while there.

So far, he has had (and enjoyed):
- small jogurt
- mini mozarella balls
- cubed cheese
- mini salamis or coctail sausages
- cherry tomatoes
- cucumber slices
- various fruit, including raisins etc when no seasonal fresh stuff available

He has a toast or bread-based breakfast and usually a sandwhich or wrap for lunch, so I would rather not give him anything bread-like as a snack.

Ds will actually eat almost anything, but peer pressure means that some of the stuff that he happily eats at home (olives, sundried tomatoes) he won't eat at Kindergarten.

The snack-time is a very important part of his time there, he really enjoys sitting at the table with the other kids and eating. But he's been getting a bit fed up with always having basically the same stuff.

They are not allowed any cakes, biscuits, sweets etc.
Is there something obvious I am missing?
Really, any ideas at all would be great.

whimsicalname Wed 15-Jun-11 14:56:21

Would flapjacks count as cake/ biscuit? they are very nutricious! Or bars made out of dried fruit. You can either buy them, or hippy / vegan type websites would probably have recipes.

Or savoury biscuits like oat cakes or rice cakes?

MavisG Wed 15-Jun-11 15:27:23

Carrot sticks and hummous?
Other crudités and dips - whizz up fried onions, lentils, few olives, Tom purée
Plain or spicy popcorn?

HopeForTheBest Wed 15-Jun-11 16:03:56

Dips is a good idea!

Don't think flapjacks would be ok. But savoury biscuits...you've reminded me that he always ends up eating the dog's biscuits (homemade cheese or tuna ones) so I could do something like that for him.

Thanks for the ideas!

snailoon Wed 15-Jun-11 16:09:07

There are lots of delicious snack bars that have no sugar in them at all. Try the Nakd range; they are made of dried fruit and nuts with nothing added. What about sushi (very easy to make) or a rice ball.
Applesauce

clarinsgirl Wed 15-Jun-11 16:12:36

An Mner posted recently as she has just set up a website with packed lunch ideas.
Here:
www.packedlunchideas.com/

anthonytrollopesrevenge Fri 17-Jun-11 21:32:53

Mine love rice cakes, especially the Organix ones. And Lyme Regis do lovely oat and fruit bars which have zero added sugar. And yogurt tubes are fun. If you are feeling rich my DS loves Innocent fruit tubes which are just tubes of pureed fruit, clear spring do little pots of these too.

BikeRunSki Fri 17-Jun-11 21:35:32

Plain popcorn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now