Barbecue quantities, enough?

(14 Posts)
TheSkiingGardener Tue 14-Jun-11 19:09:14

I have 26 adults, 7 kids and 5 infants for a BBQ on Saturday

I have ordered

40 burgers
60 sausages
24 chicken drumsticks

As well as baked potatoes, coleslaw, potato salad, green salad, buns etc.

Do you think that's enough?

Having a mild panic here.

deemented Tue 14-Jun-11 19:13:36

Honestly? No, sorry.

I've found that people always eat more at BBQ's then they would a sit down meal, so i tend to lay on two burgers and three sausages per person - except for a child which would be one of each, i've never bothered doing drumsticks tbh, but i'd hazard a guess at a couple per person, including kids.

nagynolonger Tue 14-Jun-11 19:25:30

I would do more chicken certainly. I don't bother with drum sticks I do chicken thighs. If you are doing jacket pots don't think many will eat three burgers.

TheSkiingGardener Tue 14-Jun-11 19:26:28

Excellent, honesty is what I need!

I suppose I just can't imagine eating that much as I picture it all on a plate. I'm sure I probably do though when I go to these things.

Anything else easy to provide? It's at a country park location so needs to be easy to store/transport/keep cool.

deemented Tue 14-Jun-11 19:28:30

Oh, and tbh, i would't bother with jacket spuds either.

Pasta salad.

Any veggies going?

TheSkiingGardener Tue 14-Jun-11 19:38:59

I'm doing a pasta salad. I have one veggie coming, am about to tact her and ask what she would like and I will add it to the order.

Will start editing the order now.

deemented Tue 14-Jun-11 19:45:57

I think wedges with dips if you're having anything potatoey - jacket spuds need a knife and fork and ime have to be eaten sat down leaning on something, iyswim? Wedges or chips could be eaten walking round and stood up.

TheSkiingGardener Tue 14-Jun-11 19:47:48

Ok. How about

60 burgers
76 sausages
46 chicken drumsticks

That's 182 items, 6 per adult, 3 per child?

Pasta salad, coleslaw, potato salad, green salad, baked potatoes, crisps, breadsticks and dips.

Better?

TheSkiingGardener Tue 14-Jun-11 19:49:20

I'm pre-cooking the spuds so could do wedges and then just warm up. That's a thought.

deemented Tue 14-Jun-11 19:49:24

Yes.

Can i come to your BBQ? grin

bigTillyMint Tue 14-Jun-11 19:50:22

I don't think many if anyone will eat a jacket spud - hand-held burger or hot-dog is much easier.

Your revised list sounds better - always better to go for too much than not enough grin

TheSkiingGardener Tue 14-Jun-11 20:17:51

You would be welcome deemented but it's a long way from Wales. (checked your profile, not a stalker, honest) grin

loobylou13 Fri 17-Jun-11 14:06:21

if youve got access to power how about a slow cooker filled with chilli?

Always goes down really well at our bbq's

TheSkiingGardener Fri 17-Jun-11 22:42:07

There would have been no power loobylou. However, gale force winds and thunderstorms mean this is now going to be an indoor party at our house instead.

That means I have to clean the aforesaid house.

Bugger.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now