Talk

Advanced search

Urgent - okay to eat this?

(13 Posts)
whethergirl Tue 14-Jun-11 17:04:54

I just found a container of a roast veg and rice dish I made last Tuesday and forgot all about. It smells ok. Would you eat it or has it been too long?!

pfbornot Tue 14-Jun-11 17:05:44

I wouldn't.

Waswondering Tue 14-Jun-11 17:05:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pfbornot Tue 14-Jun-11 17:06:01

Rice shouldn't be reheated.

tkband3 Tue 14-Jun-11 17:06:06

I wouldn't - reheated rice can be v dodgy.

Pinner35 Tue 14-Jun-11 17:06:10

No, don't eat it.

whethergirl Tue 14-Jun-11 17:09:24

Really? Rice should NEVER be reheated? What do you do when you have leftover rice then, just chuck it?

Anyway, thanks for that. I guess I'll just have to MAKE some dinner instead of sunbathing in the garden.

whethergirl Tue 14-Jun-11 17:10:08

And is is just rice that shouldn't be re-heated? What about bulgar wheat or cous cous?

thisisyesterday Tue 14-Jun-11 17:10:41

rice can be reheated, as long as the food was cooled quickly and has stayed refrigerated and you reheat it thoroughly it doesn't pose an issue

that said, after a week? i'm not sure i would! but then i wouldn't with anything that had been sat there a week, it's not a rice thing per se!

thisisyesterday Tue 14-Jun-11 17:12:03

if rice couldn't; be reheated you wouldn't be able to buy rice in ready meals, or in packets off the shelf
and restaurants wouldn't be able to serve reheated rice (which i can assure you they do regularly!)

it CAN have host a rather nasty food poisoning, which is hard to kill off, but as long as you have been careful with the food, as I said in the previous post, then it really isn't an issue

whethergirl Tue 14-Jun-11 17:12:34

Yeh, I guess a week is too long for most things. I used to be so overly fussy about this kind of thing, and for some reason I've just gone the other way and now too relaxed about it.

GeorgeEliot Tue 14-Jun-11 20:24:04

Rice can give you really nasty food poisoning. I would not keep cooked rice for longer than 1 day, then reheat until very hot - and only if it's been refrigerated.

nannyl Tue 14-Jun-11 21:35:57

No way

Im normally very relaxed about these type of things.... but week old rice. No way!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: