Talk

Advanced search

How the heel do you get cakes out of those silicone baking trays???

(25 Posts)
winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 12:30:13

Bought one today. Made cupcakes. Left cupcakes for 10 minutes to cool down. Cupcakes are stuck and when I tried pushing one out iyswim it broke in two.

I promised them to DD. Help.

OP’s posts: |
winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 12:30:31

How the hell, obv.

AuntieMonica Tue 14-Jun-11 12:32:07

i have some silicon bake-ware and have to oil the blasted things before using

i prefer my old almost antique metal tins or paper cake cases

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 12:36:01

I almost have oiled it, but it boasts to be non-stick hmm angry

Shit. So do I nedd to cut it up to free the cupcakes? hmm

Em3978 Tue 14-Jun-11 12:38:22

Run a butter knife round the edges (obv a sharp one might do damage) and see if they'll come out that way.
I have v little luck with silicone too. Though they do good little yorkshire puds with no oil.... madness!!

AuntieMonica Tue 14-Jun-11 12:42:57

are they stuck so badly?

where did you buy them from, i'd take them back for a refund if it's taht bad shock

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 13:08:46

I have cut it up. What a waste of money. I would've bought the tin ones but they didn't have any.

DD's face on seeing the cupcake with swirls of pink icing and sprinkles-priceless grin

Scootergrrrl Tue 14-Jun-11 13:11:06

If there's a next time grin
Run one of those plastic children's knives round the cake and then pop it out.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 14-Jun-11 13:14:46

Also, I find if I take cakes out of silicon moulds sooner rather than later I seem to get better results. I use a clean tea towel to transfer the cakes into while they're still hot - literally 2 or 3 mins after coming out of oven.

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 13:15:31

Hmm. Should have tried with a plastic knife, true, but tbh I was so pissed off at the cupcakes breaking up that I just didn't think blush

Oh well.

winnybella Tue 14-Jun-11 13:16:35

Really Hazel? I tried around 2 minute mark, then at 10 minutes then 20....grrrr....12 euros down the drain

MumGoneCrazy Tue 14-Jun-11 13:42:03

I have 24 single silicone cupcake cases and I love them, you just squeeze the bottom a little and they just pop out but I do grease them well

fishie Tue 14-Jun-11 13:43:59

non stick doesn't mean you don't grease it.

ThePrincessRoyalFiggyrolls Tue 14-Jun-11 13:48:56

I was going to say wait until you see them after a couple of months going slightly mouldy in the cupboard - mine got all discoloured and weird. I blame Jamie Oliver myself wink

Am afraid its all about the greasing!

Fimbo Tue 14-Jun-11 13:51:52

I bought one of them out of Lidl and had to cut it up to get the cake out. It was non stick, so it didn't occur to me to grease the thing.

NinthWave Tue 14-Jun-11 13:55:46

I've got some Tefal ones that are fab, they don't ever need greasing - Jamie Oliver brand I think. I also have a couple of Sainsbury's own brand ones that need lining or greasing as they're a bugger for sticking. So I guess it depends on the brand!

startail Tue 14-Jun-11 13:57:03

My heart shaped ones work if you grease them well, else they break up. Silicone tins are nothing like as good as the hype sad

howabout Tue 14-Jun-11 14:00:39

I have M&S cupcake and individual star shapes and they don't need greasing however long you leave the cake in them. Just don't expect the dishwasher to get them clean.

Othersideofthechannel Tue 14-Jun-11 18:51:52

I have Tefal silicon cake moulds and they are great. It did say that you needed to grease them on the first use. I have not greased them since the first use and the cakes turn out fine. It doesn't seem to matter how long I leave the cakes to cool down.

But mine are all large moulds - moule à manqué, loaf tin etc
I use a metal tin and paper cases for cup cakes.

bigTillyMint Tue 14-Jun-11 19:53:17

I got a cheap one from our local cheapy shop and it iworks fine, no greasing if you use cases. Did you use cases?

If not using cases, I grease it and it's fine too.

nannyl Tue 14-Jun-11 20:13:53

i have some cheap silicon 'tins' and some expensive larger ones. (Some of the original ones before the cheap ones even existed!)

My expensive ones are just so much better. They are well used and discoloured and look well used but i have NEVER had a cake stick or fail to come out perfectly yet.
I dont grease them or anything either. They seem to made if a thicker silicon and the bases are thicker still

pjwilliams Tue 09-Aug-11 16:23:33

I love my silicone baking moulds and baby ware. I bought some Lexington moulds and bowls (link below) a few months ago, the quality is great and
i've had no issues with sticking, and i've not greased yet!

(http://www.lexliving.com/lexnfant.html)

iampadoods Wed 04-Jun-14 10:38:04

I usually grease my pans on the first use. No matter how much they boast it's non-stick. I never had problems with my silicone cake tray. I use a keetzen silicone cake pop mould (http://amzn.to/1kKwVkw). It's a really good product, never gave me problem at all even after a year of continuous use!

maria66 Thu 05-Jun-14 15:48:02

Have you tried using a proper cake release oil? try here kitchenfoods.co.uk/Item/bakery_release_agent_oil

LiquidPan Sun 14-Jan-18 11:53:06

Hello,

I am the distributor of a special silicone cake mould family and my advice is always two folded:
1. grease the silicone moulds every time before you use it
2. remove the cakes/cupcakes immediately after they are baked. During they are hot.

The second step is usually disregarded and not known, but it is essential to keep any good-quality silicone mould healthy for long, not even talking about a cheaper silicone material.
Greasing has few techniques. I always advise to use one of these:
– cake release sprays
– cooking sprays
– cake release liquids
– homemade pan release mixture

Hope, that helps

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »