Talk

Advanced search

"Strawberries aren't a treat"

(16 Posts)
create Mon 13-Jun-11 22:17:46

It's the school "healthy eating" messages again I'm afraid, but my 5yo nephew has returned from school upset that he was corrected in school, when he thinks he was right.

Teacher asked the children to name treat foods, he said strawberries and was told that was wrong, strawberries aren't a treat.

I know what the teacher meant, that strawberries aren't a treat that needs to be limited, like sweets, but how is teaching kids that something can only be a treat if it's unhealthy, promoting healthy attitudes to food?

Strawberries are relatively expensive, only available (nice ones) for a short period of time and he enjoys them. Surely that's what a treat is?

bonkers20 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:27:48

I agree with you.

vigglewiggle Mon 13-Jun-11 22:30:53

I agree with you, but are you sure your 5 year old nephew understood the question? Perhaps they were asked about treats that should be limited. I wouldn't get hot under the collar about the interpretation of a 5 year old.

Meglet Mon 13-Jun-11 22:32:06

I think they are a treat.

Currently gorging on British ones from sainburys. They'll be out of season soon sad.

bluerodeo Mon 13-Jun-11 22:33:15

I'd say that they are a treat in mid winter but certainly not in June when they are so cheap in the supermarkets. Wouldn't bother me

elphabadefiesgravity Mon 13-Jun-11 22:34:10

I don;t like them but for ds they are a big treat. However they are expensive sowe can't have them often. A treat is anything which is enjoyed but has to be limited for whatever reason be it financial or health or just not being available.

Dd thinks sprouts are a treat!!!!!!!

EightiesChick Mon 13-Jun-11 22:36:34

A 'treat' is pretty relative really. Doesn't sound like it was particularly well framed at school. Perhaps have a discussion like that with him, where you talk about how some people think X is a treat, some would think Y was a treat, what makes a treat...

SecretNutellaFix Mon 13-Jun-11 22:38:41

They most certainly are a treat- far too expensive for regular purchase.

Hassled Mon 13-Jun-11 22:41:52

It's very subjective, though, isn't it? I don't see a strawberry as a treat at all because I have a bucketload growing in the garden - we just pick them and eat them whenever we want. I'm guessing the teacher is in the same position - but yes, I agree she/he should maybe think before she/he speaks.

stealthsquiggle Mon 13-Jun-11 22:44:20

It sounds like it was badly handled - a gentle word with teacher might be in order, so that he/she can explain to DNephew what she really meant.

Living near lots of strawberry farms, my DC regard strawberries as a staple during the season (but will go [bleugh] at supermarket ones - oh boy they have a shock coming when they leave home and go and live in a city grin) but we would never buy them out of season.

vigglewiggle Mon 13-Jun-11 22:49:00

Do you seriously think this is something worth speaking to your nephew's teacher about? I imagine they will think you quite mad! grin

colditz Mon 13-Jun-11 22:49:54

I totally agree with you, strawberries are a treat.

stealthsquiggle Mon 13-Jun-11 22:56:32

vigglewiggle - it depends how easy it is to talk to the teacher - it's certainly not worth making a huge issue out of, but a casual 'BTW - X got himself into a bit of a tizz about the discussion you had on treats yesterday' wouldn't do any harm if the opportunity arises.

Bohica Mon 13-Jun-11 22:58:10

They are a treat in our house & so are watermellons, cherries & grapes.

V.expensive but whe I can I add one ot two of the above to the trolley & when we get to the sweetie isle no-one asks because they have straws & cherries to enjoy.

We also love hula hoops & walkers cheese & onion crisps which are also eaten on treat night & eaten with the above fruit.

chocolateyclur Mon 13-Jun-11 23:17:22

They're a treat to me because we can't afford them often.

A banana is a "treat" to my 3 year old son because he loves them. He labelled them as such, so who am I to argue? (even if I think they MING)

stealthsquiggle Mon 13-Jun-11 23:22:48

I can just imagine someone trying that conversation on DD - 'baby octopus or anchovies' grin? (anchovies of the fresh variety, not the salted ones, before I get pounced on by the salt police)

She is the ponce to end all ponces and it's not my fault (honest!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now