Talk

Advanced search

Food ideas for 24 hour journey please

(9 Posts)
overnightfood Mon 13-Jun-11 18:57:48

DD is going on a school trip which involves travelling for a day and a half both ways. Whilst they will be able to buy food at service stations en route, and we'll give her some money for that, would like to give her some food items which will be safe on day 2 going and also some things to put in her case/suggest she buys in a supermarket for the return journey so she can save her spends for things while away.

Packed lunch going will be fine, intend to freeze some small cartons & pack in an insulated carrier bag, so she can have a "normal" packed lunch/tea. On return journey she will have a Macdonalds/similar once back in UK as a treat.

Just need things which will a) keep for day 2 going b) keep for a week for the return (tho expect they will end up being part of midnight feasts during the week).

They aren't allowed crisps (think that's a bus company rule). So.... have thought about apples; cereal bars; dried apricots/raisins etc; she's asked for mini packs of cheerios. Then I am stuck. Any ideas please?

overnightfood Mon 13-Jun-11 20:19:03

just a thought...could I freeze some sandwiches which would defrost overnight for day 2? Would that be safe?

overnightfood Mon 13-Jun-11 21:36:55

anyone?

Sarah159 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:46:03

Rice cakes, flapjacks, pots of rice pudding (usually in the aisle with custards etc and don't require refrigeration) packets of dried fruits (the Kiddylicious range is usually with baby food in supermarket but does dried apple, pineapple, strawberry etc and no added sugar) are ideas off top of my head. Have a trawl round the supermarket, you might see things you normally wouldn't consider for home food

div22c Mon 13-Jun-11 21:46:26

Tough one...rice cakes / bread sticks with little pots of philadelphia, cheese wedges/ sticks, more fruit like bananas and pears. If they will have access to microwaves (and she is old enough to use them) then soup cartons (like Covent Garden ones)? Little yoghurt pots/ drinks, juice cartons. I realise I have mostly suggested processed stuff, maybe someone else will be along with better suggestions?

overnightfood Mon 13-Jun-11 21:54:29

thanks - they will be on a coach so no access to microwave. Rice pudding & custard pots are a good idea. Dried fruit already on list. Yoghurt& yog drinks ok for the first day,but wouldn't want her eating day-old yogs which haven't been in the fridge. They will be well-fed once they get there,just travelling 30+ hours on a coach so want to make sure she has enough food which won't go off. Not big on processed food normally but ok for couple of days and part of the fun of being on a trip

CherryDrops Wed 15-Jun-11 16:20:37

Something like a marmite sandwich wouldn't need refrigerating so would be fine for the next day. On top of the standard fruit, cereal bars, rice cakes, etc. you're unlikely to find anything particularly healthy that will last out of the fridge. The coach is bound to stop for toilet breaks etc, so surely they will be able to buy food at the service stations anyway so I wouldn't worry too much.

CroissantNeuf Wed 15-Jun-11 16:22:49

Individually wrapped Brioche and Pain au Chocolat?

overnightfood Wed 15-Jun-11 22:48:06

Thanks both. Yes, they will be stopping and of course she can buy food but as they have such a long journey I wanted to give her plenty. She didn't used to like Marmite, but she's not tried it for years - will get some and she can try it as I love it anyway. Wrapped Brioche/Pain au chocolate are a good idea too.
Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now