Talk

Advanced search

Have just bottled my first ever homemade elderflower cordial

(15 Posts)
northender Sat 11-Jun-11 22:04:41

Not food exactly but didn't know where else to post this.Feel quite chuffed with myself! Picked the elderflowers at the park the other day and have made around 2 litres. It's bottled in 3 beer bottles we brought back from France last week. It even tastes quite like the stuff you buy. That's it just wanted to share!

Fisharefriendsnotfood Sat 11-Jun-11 22:07:39

My god. Have you nothing to do? shock

Well done I guess smile

fivegomadindorset Sat 11-Jun-11 22:08:58

Well done, I am planning to do mine this week, novice here aswell, any tips?

northender Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:52

I was ready for the nothing better to do commentsgrin. five finding out where you can get citric acid before you pick the flowers is probably handy! I phoned several chemists before finding one that did (apparently it's used for bomb making too). Apparently some Wilkinsons sell it in the wine making section. I will try to find the recipe I used and link to it, it was fairly straightforward.

PigeonStreet Sat 11-Jun-11 22:27:28

I did my first ever batch today too! I second finding citric acid first. I stupidly picked the elderflowers on weds and didnt find the citric acid until friday (the 5th chemist I tried were able to order it in for me). Had the flowers in an airtight bag in the fridge. Feeling very chuffed now its done. Bottling it tomorrow.

PigeonStreet Sat 11-Jun-11 22:28:57

www.cottagesmallholder.com/judys-elderflower-cordial-recipe-340#comments
this was the recipe I used.

northender Sat 11-Jun-11 22:33:24

That's not the website I got my recipe from but it's basically the same so I won't bother linking it!

fivegomadindorset Sat 11-Jun-11 22:41:37

I have recipe from River cottage book, agree that ciric acid will be the most problematic, have a huge tree just outside my garden.

debka Sun 12-Jun-11 14:33:20

Well done you. I made some last year but I must have done something wrong as it tasted like cats piss. grin

fivegomad didn't know citric acid grew on trees....

fivegomadindorset Sun 12-Jun-11 14:36:28

If only .....

CliffTumble Sun 12-Jun-11 14:36:48

You can add extra lemon juice if you can't get citric acid. Citric acid is also used to cut drugs.

fivegomadindorset Sun 12-Jun-11 14:38:18

How much lemon juice to litre of water used or flower heads?

CliffTumble Sun 12-Jun-11 14:43:37

Google elderflower cordial recipe -citric acid.

fivegomadindorset Sun 12-Jun-11 14:46:50

Thank you for that, also never thought of freezing it to last the winter.

CliffTumble Sun 12-Jun-11 14:50:06

Freezing is really good because an ice cube is the perfect quantity for a glass

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: