Talk

Advanced search

Sugar-free (or reduced sugar) baking for babies?

(7 Posts)
AchtungBaby Sat 11-Jun-11 13:43:24

Does anyone have any sugar-free (or reduced sugar) baking recipes for babies? Or know of any good resources about this (websites, books etc)?

I've googled this a bit, but usually get caught up in diabetic / vegan recipes, or recipes with sweeteners etc.

DS (PFB grin) is 9 months, and hasn't really had any sugar (well, a little in some stewed rhubarb that I made him). I know that he needs lots of calories etc to grow, but he eats a varied diet (including different fruits), so I'm not in any hurry to give him lots of refined sugar.

Adair Sat 11-Jun-11 13:50:29

I just don't put as much sugar in - usually about a quarter of what they say. Banana, cinnamon, raisins all sweet enough IMO.

Bumperlicioso Sat 11-Jun-11 14:17:00

Good baby led weaning and sugar free banana loaf, it's on aitch's blw site and is yummy! I make pancakes quite a lot. I don't add sugar but often add mashed banana. You can make muffins and just add fruit instead of sugar.

AchtungBaby Sat 11-Jun-11 14:44:44

Thanks Adair and Bumperlicioso.

I'll use 1/4 of the sugar in some tried and tested recipes then, and I'll try the sugar-free banana loaf too (I think this is it).

I've made DS banana pancakes a few times, they're a big hit. Mmm, I might try Nigella's blueberry muffins w/o adding any sugar too.

Adair Sat 11-Jun-11 15:01:49

Yeah, if you can get away with it - do it! I used to give the 'ketchup' which was just passata... (Now they eat all sorts of junk - and we get through a bottle a ketchup a week shock.

nannyl Sun 12-Jun-11 10:05:58

annabell karmell has a couple of "processed sugar" free recipies.

I remember maing pineapple and raisen muffins with no refined sugar in the ingrediants.

bear in mind there is a LOT of sugar in the fruits use.

I always put in a little bit less sugar than the recipie says.... about 10 - 15% less, and the things i make are always plenty sweet enough.

I see others put a lot lot less sugar in than me. Perhaps ill try that next time smile, and when my baby arrives and starts eating!

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 12-Jun-11 10:09:08

good scones never have much sugar in them - an ounce or so per batch.
delia online has a good recipe.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: