Talk

Advanced search

Meat Problems

(5 Posts)
migroo Fri 10-Jun-11 11:18:04

This is my second pregnancy but during my first i suffered with terrible nausea without vomitting, now im suffering with the same but have found my trigger, meat. I am quite a healthy eater so fruit and veg are a big part of my diet but meat is too. I take it out of the freezer to cook for myself and my husband but as soon as i see it or smell it, i feel horrendous.
I can't not cook meat as my husband is definately a meat eater and not big on veg so i am struggling with what to do. I really dont know if it is normal to go off meat but someone please help.

scurryfunge Fri 10-Jun-11 11:20:26

If it is making you feel ill, then give your self a break -your husband can prepare his own meat elsewhere if he really cannot cope without for a few weeks.

Xiaoxiong Fri 10-Jun-11 11:28:56

Absolutely agree with scurry. Cut it out until you feel better, and your husband can lump it - in fact he may find that he doesn't need meat so much after all. Just make sure you're getting enough protein - I have a great chickpea curry recipe if you want, my meat-loving husband loves it.

migroo Fri 10-Jun-11 11:33:10

that would be great thank you. Im sure he would be okay with preparing his own food i just dont like him in my kitchen smile, he feels he has to use every possible utensil there is.

Xiaoxiong Fri 10-Jun-11 12:41:55

But if you see it or smell it you'll feel ill right? I've found that I can smell stuff even through closed doors with my pregnancy super-nose. I'd just tell him that you can't have it in the house, and that you'll be going veggie for a few weeks until you're feeling yourself again but that you don't mind if he wants to go out somewhere and have a burger on his own. I mean, you are the mother of his future child right, he can deal with it.

Amazing chickpea curry recipe - this serves 2, so I always double it because it's even better the next day. I usually put in 3 chilis to make it really spicy, double all the spices (at least), and serve it with rice, naan bread, spicy lime pickle and a good dollop of plain greek yoghurt or raita. It's particularly nice on a rainy day so I may make it myself tonight!

1 tablespoon canola oil or other vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
Thumb-sized piece of ginger, minced or grated on a microplane
1 or 2 small chilis
2 large tomatoes, chopped or a tin of diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt, or as needed
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 a lemon, squeezed
2 tins chickpeas, drained
2 tablespoons minced coriander

1. In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat oil and add onion. Sauté until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, ginger and chili, and sauté until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes and 1/2 a tin's worth of water. Cover and cook until tomatoes are very soft, about 5 minutes, then remove from heat.

2. If you want, you can purée the mixture with a stick blender or food processor until smooth (but I never bother). Return to medium heat. Add paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, the garam masala, turmeric and lemon juice. Add chickpeas and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.

3. Cover and simmer until sauce is thick and chickpeas are soft, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Stir pan about every 10 minutes, adding water if needed (up to 1 1/2 cups) to prevent burning. When ready to serve, sauce should be thick. If necessary, uncover pan and allow sauce to reduce for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until desired consistency. Stir in coriander, adjust salt as needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: