Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take to stew appples?

(5 Posts)
daffsntulips Fri 10-Jun-11 07:43:44

DD is making a pie for a GCSE assessment and needs to know (pretty accurately) how long it will take to stew her apples! My answer of 'until they are ready' is inadequate.

Can anyone please help?

Tia

juneau Fri 10-Jun-11 07:50:15

About 5-10 mins. You slice up your apples and put them with the sugar and a couple of tablespoons of water in a pan on the stove on a low-ish heat. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. The apples soften really fast, so if you want to still have chunks of apple, as opposed to apple puree, keep an eye on them and turn the heat off as soon as you notice the first bits of apple start to disintegrate.

GentleOtter Fri 10-Jun-11 07:55:35

I have looked at some of Delia's recipes and even she says 'cook until soft'. confused

It depends on the type of apple and heat - eg it takes about 20 mins on a very low plate on a Rayburn for a Bramley but as juneau says, 5-10 mins on electric at low heat.

daffsntulips Fri 10-Jun-11 08:04:01

Great thanks.
I had looked in Delia too and this time she let us down!

PatientGriselda Fri 10-Jun-11 08:08:39

Depends how thickly she has cut up the apples, which is why, I guess, books don't specify the softening times very much. If slicing finely, I don't soften at all, as the cooking time in the pie will be sufficient.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now