Talk

Advanced search

Rabbit Stew

(2 Posts)
PeggyNight Thu 09-Jun-11 18:39:48

Does anyone have a good recipe for a rabbit casserole or stew? I've googled but not come up with much. I would prefer it to be creamy and have pearl barley in it, but I can always adapt- it's mainly knowing how to treat the rabbit as I haven't cooked it before and haven't a clue!
My Dad loves it but hasn't had it for years and I would like to make him one for father's day.

tb Fri 10-Jun-11 20:07:49

1-2 shallots or small onion finely sliced
butter
2 cloves of garlic crushed
bayleaf and thyme
1-2tsp mustard - I use the cheapest Dijon stuff generally from Lidl
1-2 glasses of white wine - I use Sauvignon 'cos that's what we tend to buy

Fry the onion in a mixture of butter with a splash of oil to stop it burning.
Fry the rabbit pieces until browned a little.
Add the garlic, a bayleaf, some thyme and 1-2 glasses of white wine, salt and pepper.

Simmer for about an hour or cook at mark 2-3 until tender

You could always omit the mustard, and add some carrots when you fry the onion/shallots, about a mug of water and about 2 cereal spoons of pearl barley. Then at the end, add a couple of spoons of cream.

I had rabbit stew with pearl barley, and loved it when I was little, but whenever I tried to cook it, it didn't turn out right.

The above recipe with the white wine and the mustard is always lovely, and doesn't taste mustardy as rabbit itself is quite strong.

If you get a rabbit with the liver, you could always make him a nice salad by frying a rasher of streaky bacon cut into fine strips, until starting to turn golden. Add the liver, cook until just sealed, flambé in brandy, shake in a little balsamic vinegar and tip over a bed of lettuce.

Hope that helps - as you can see, I love rabbit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: