Talk

Advanced search

Suggestions for easy cook-ahead afternoon tea

(6 Posts)
Pootles2010 Thu 09-Jun-11 16:15:26

Have stupidly invited all the very nice but very 'together' mums from post-natal group to ours for afternoon tea for ds's first birthday. Not really a party as such, just tea and scones/cakes etc in garden I think.

However it's now dawned on me that I'll have to get house, garden, food, and myself ready whilst looking after very inquisitive ds - so I think need to do as much in advance as possible.

Is it possible to freeze scones/cakes etc? I was hoping to make it all really impressive in the hope that they won't notice how tiny my poxy terrace is (they are all married to bankers/consultants and live in barn conversions and drive 4x4s).

Please help me! (Throws self on mercy of MN)

bagelmonkey Thu 09-Jun-11 18:43:18

Scones freeze really well. You can freeze sponges s long as they're not iced or filled already. Fruit cake and ginger cake improve with keeping.

jjazz Mon 13-Jun-11 22:04:30

if they are worried about the size of your home they are not worth spending any time with IMHO

MooM00 Tue 14-Jun-11 13:05:28

Maybe pop to Marks for some scones,fruit cake and cheese straws and devote you time to making some nice cup cakes or birthday cake.
Scones are annoying because everyone then needs a knife to spread the butter and jam, I'd do cake and a few sandwiches and chocolate biscuits. Something healthy for the dc like cut up strawberries or grapes too.

Pootles2010 Mon 18-Jul-11 13:41:55

Thanks all. Apologies for late reply, our house has been hit by a series of illnesses of late - sigh.

Good call Moomoo - I hadn't thought that about the knives. I will def do healthy bits for little ones, prob will go with strawberries.

I don't think they are at all jjazz - it's just me being paranoid and making issues that aren't there. They really are lovely otherwise wouldn't bother with them, as you say.

The party is now this Friday - eek!

sweetiesue Tue 19-Jul-11 12:40:08

As suggested fruity snacks for the children, but what about choc dipped strawberries for the mums.
Lemon shortbread type biscuits are also really nice, easy to make and can be frozen if required.
Any traybake type things should go down well and also the highly recc Lemon Drizzle cake from the recipe section always seems to be a winner.
IMO as long as you have plenty of tea to drink (maybe a non-alcoholic pimms/elderflower type drink if it is warm) and a few nibbles all will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now