Talk

Advanced search

Do you allow your kids Lucozade/sports drinks?

(6 Posts)
DrNortherner Thu 09-Jun-11 10:00:35

Ds is 9 and full of energy. He does not have any fizzy or sports drinks on a daily basis at all.

However, lots of his friends at various sporting activities take sports drinks and ds is begging for the same.

On a Thursday afternoon ds does Athletics squad after school till 4pm, then he plays football from 5pm till 6pm. I give him a banana and normally juice, but am thinking it won't be so bad to give him a Lucozade sport will it?

I am a runner so always have Lucozade in at home and he sees me drinking it after a run so he knows it is not an everyday drink.

Thoughts?

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 09-Jun-11 10:05:54

One or two now and again won't hurt. I'm not wild about fizzy drinks as a regular thing, but we split a Coke at the weekends. Special attention to teeth-brushing, of course, and acidic fruit juice is just as bad in that respect.

DrNortherner Thu 09-Jun-11 10:07:10

Lucozade sport is not fizzy. Just very sugary!

caughtinanet Thu 09-Jun-11 10:10:44

I have exactly the same dilemma with onw of my DCs who plays regulat sport. I don't allow energy drinks for training sesions but do for matches or in a competition so maybe one every couple of weeks.

I don't think its too harmful but did read this recently www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1392634/Doctors-warn-giving-energy-drinks-children-claiming-contain-toxic-levels-caffeine.html although lucozade isn't mentioned other similar drinks ar so I'm now a bit unsure.

Smash09 Thu 09-Jun-11 15:57:35

I don't think it's any worse than squash and actually it has vitamins added so I guess it's slightly better. If you're concerned about sugar, calories or caffiene (although i don't think most lucozade drinks contain caffiene), then how about giving him sugar free squash in a lucozade bottle so that he can feel like he's fitting in with the trend?

caughtinanet Thu 09-Jun-11 17:34:18

smash09 - I'm pleased to hear that you don't think it's too bad. My DCs are only allowed to drink plain water at school and have squash at home so a Lucozade type drink isn't a regular thing. Luckily my DC isn't worried about fitting in but has become convinced that an energy drink has some kind of magical power that will improve performance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now