Talk

Advanced search

Afternoon tea - what does it include?

(10 Posts)
posey Tue 07-Jun-11 20:28:39

My godmother, late 70s, is coming to visit for first time in years. I offered her dinner but she declined and said " no it's fine, I'll just stay for afternoon tea"
So, it will be tea to drink, a Victoria sponge, sandwiches?, sausage rolls?, vol au vents?, cheese board????!!!

Seriously, what should I be serving?

AMumInScotland Tue 07-Jun-11 20:35:01

I think delicate sandwiches and a selection of cakes would be traditional. Probably not anything like sausage rolls or vol au vents.

lilolilmanchester Tue 07-Jun-11 23:13:17

Sandwiches, a Victoria sponge, and perhaps some scones with jam & cream plus tea/coffee to drink.

If you wanted to add something, sausage rolls or quiche perhaps and maybe crisps?
But am with AMumInScotland, the additions aren't really necessary.

overmydeadbody Tue 07-Jun-11 23:16:09

Either scones with jam and cream

or

little sandwiches and a victoria sponge.

Or any other cake you fancy serving up really. Just not too much choice, for afternoon tea. Othjerwise you'll end up having some sort of nightmarish 'buffet' instead of tea.

Tea in a pot.

Grockle Tue 07-Jun-11 23:19:33

I went out for afternoon tea a couple of weeks ago. We had:

delicate sandwiches (cut into finger, no crusts) - ham, smoked salmon, cream cheese & cucumber, egg
scones with cream and jam
selection of tiny cakes - battenburg, mini meringue, profiterole type thing,
Lots of lovely tea

posey Wed 08-Jun-11 07:40:33

Thank you all, thats really helpful smile

GwendolineMaryLacey Wed 08-Jun-11 07:43:42

Sandwiches, scones, cakes and tea. No crisps, sausage rolls or any of that nonsense smile

sweetiesue Wed 08-Jun-11 16:42:33

Proper tea in a pot
Sandwiches - little fingers or triangles (no crusts) with traditional fillings like salmon, cucumber, cheese & pickle, ham, egg
Pancakes/Scones - served with butter and jam (and possibly cream)
Delicate Cakes/Pastries - mini eclairs, small pieces fruit cake, good old vicki sponge, individual fruit tart, shortbread

Just booked afternoon tea at 5* hotel for MIL's birthday and that's what they give as an example.

Hullygully Wed 08-Jun-11 16:44:59

Tea and an afternoon are essential

posey Wed 08-Jun-11 17:31:40

Hullygully grin

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now