Talk

Advanced search

braising steak in a summery way?

(7 Posts)
kitcat83 Tue 07-Jun-11 10:06:25

I ve just found two packs of braising steak in the depths of my freezer and wanted to cook something with them for tonights supper with enough left to freeze for another time. Normally I would casserole it but wondered if anyone had any more summery ideas?

Xiaoxiong Tue 07-Jun-11 10:20:14

Cornish pasties!

Schtum Tue 07-Jun-11 13:15:35

Hmmm..

I'd fry some onion, garlic, and an anchovy, a little fresh rosemary (finely chopped) and the zest of a lemon in a little olive oil then add some passata, salt and pepper and the juice of the lemon and let it casserole in a slow oven for a few hours until it's melt in the mouth.

Towards the end, I'd stir through some black olives, warm them through then serve, scattered with flat leaf parsley and basil with some hot buttered linguine and a green salad of watercress, rocket and spinach with a sharp vinaigrette.

Presto - Italian-style steak alla Schtum

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 07-Jun-11 14:43:15

I was going to mention anchovies, too. Nigella uses them in a similar way in How To Eat a couple of times.

What's that Italian thing of mixing lemon zest, garlic and fresh herbs to sprinkle over (and lighten) a casserole after cooking?

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 07-Jun-11 14:51:59

here - Gremolata

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 07-Jun-11 15:22:50

I always thing a traditional Goulash can be quite summery. Cut the steak into thin strips rather than a dice.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Tue 07-Jun-11 15:42:10

Or a Thai style beef and aubergine curry? I have a recipe in one of my slow cooker books.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: