Talk

Advanced search

those of you who have american style fridge freezers tell me why you love them

(29 Posts)
mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Mon 06-Jun-11 11:57:02

i am procrastinating over whether or not to get one, at the moment i have an under cabinate fridge (there is 5 of us in our house and i love to cook) and it just never seems big enough) i also have a tall freezer in a cubourd in our out house. we have just redone our kitcken which means we have moved our dinning sweet in to another room freeing up alot of space in the kitchen so im thinking of putting an american fridge freezer in the space and getting rid of the fridge (hubby would make another cubourd to fit the hole as he made the kitchen) and get rid if the freezer and turning the cubourd into a cloak room thus freeing up more space in the outhouse/utilty room. Does this sound like a good idea? aethey as great as they seem? the decission rests on me so if i get it wrong i'll never live it down not to mention the money the alternitive is i put a bistro table in the kitchen and the appliances stay the same
anyones opinions would be greatly recieved

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 06-Jun-11 11:58:36

I hate mine and will go back to tall fridge/freezer as soon as I can get away with it. Hth!

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Mon 06-Jun-11 12:01:00

why do you hate just out of interest iv seen a hotpoint one wich is similar to the tall fridge freezers just a touch wider may go and have a look at one of those aswell

Malkuth Mon 06-Jun-11 12:01:59

I love mine cos you can get shedloads of condiments in it. However the freezer bit isn't huge, partly cos of the ice maker bit so in your case I would be tempted to get another small freezer to stick where your fridge is now or to put a chest freezer in the outhouse as well.

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Mon 06-Jun-11 12:06:00

iv seen one that doesnt have water or ice becuase i wont be able to plumb it in anyway would probably go for that one or one like it

I would get the american fridge freezer for the fridge bit, but keep your other freezer too - the freezer bit is tiny the drawers are v narrow iyswim?

Or just get a super tall fridge and keep your freezer?

Malkuth Mon 06-Jun-11 12:08:38

I have one of the LG ones that you don't need to plumb in and the kids love getting ice and water but to be honest next time I would do what you are doing and get one without the ice bit.

bibbitybobbityhat Mon 06-Jun-11 12:10:38

The shape of the freezer part annoys me. The shelves are too narrow.

Also, the fridge is so huge that things get pushed to the back of the shelves and forgotten about and you get nasty out of date surprises (well I do anyway) lurking in the gloom.

ChoChoSan Mon 06-Jun-11 12:17:43

I love mine mainly for the freezer side. I get delivery organic meat and veg boxes, so don't get lots of the nice packaged stuff one normally fills up the fridge bit with, and have to freeze packs of meat every fortnight.
I do lots of freezing though, making soups etc to use up veg box, stews and stocks from meat box etc, also freeze left over pastry, pizza dough, herbs, chill is etc...basically all little bits of stuff that were impossible to find in freezer drawers, or used to fall through the wire drawers every time they were opened! I opted for no ice or water dispenser, as that normally takes up lots of freezer space.
The freezer bit is full length, and has lighting from top to bottom, with shelves instead of baskets, which always got stuck when it needed defrosting. This one never needs defrosting. There are shelves in the door for small odds and ends so I don't need to scrabble around for them. When I open the freezer door I can see exactly what I have, and lay my hands on it easily.
The fridge side has two big salad drawers, so good for veg box contents, top shelf filled with condiments and doorshekves with drinks. The other shelves are often a bleak wasteland, but enough space to put a big casserole dish in if I can't be bothered decanting stuff straight into freezer Tupperware.

I love it.

willali Mon 06-Jun-11 12:27:48

love for the size of the fridge and the constant ice. I do have a separate freezer in addition tho as the freezer part isn't huge if you do buy a lot of f reezable stuff

WhatTheActualFuck Mon 06-Jun-11 12:32:49

I like the fridge side of mine but have tha same complaints as others about the freezer - too narrow and awkwardly shaped in places. I have two separate upright freezers in my utility room to make up for the inadequacy of it.

If you are tempted to buy one, can I advise against a Whirlpool? Mine is shit. Had nothing but trouble with it (had to replace a major component after only 3 years at a cost over £300) and the water dispenser has never worked properly which is disappointing as that was one of the features that made us choose the whirlpool one in the first place.

ragged Mon 06-Jun-11 12:46:33

That's crazy, a great big freezer thingie that so many people are finding isn't fit for purpose.

PharoahNuff Mon 06-Jun-11 12:47:25

i can tell you why

OH YES ( and i thought would be flash in teh pan) THIS IS WHY

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Mon 06-Jun-11 13:03:32

chochosan can i ask which one you have?

ChoChoSan Mon 06-Jun-11 13:15:53

It's a Samsung one, stainless steel, and one of the cheaper ss ones on the market...cost £600 and something pounds a couple of years ago. I've had no problems with it.

I find I can get a lot in the freezer if using stackable Tupperware. I also cancel my meat and veg boxes once in a while and run freezer down, so I don't end up with ancient curries etc, and save a bit of cash that week.

mothersmilkandherchickenseggs Mon 06-Jun-11 13:33:02

thanks, i store/freeze in similar ways to you same with running down the freezer i do that often and just dont shop. would love to have the room to bung a whole cassarole dish in the fridge we alsways have leftovers of to do some research

smartyparts Mon 06-Jun-11 13:37:55

I have a Maytag one. Love it - love the shelves in the freezer, & it's exactly the right size so we don't forget about stuff stuffed in back or bottom. Ice dispenser is fab and the fridge bit is well designed and spacious.

Bugger to keep clean though.

PharoahNuff Mon 06-Jun-11 13:38:12

has no one else mentioned the ICE

farming4 Mon 06-Jun-11 14:39:29

we have an LG one - the one that doesn't need plumbed in - and I love it. Fridge space is big enough for us with 2 really good veg drawers. Agree freezer bit is smaller but I use that for odds and ends and stuff like frozen peas etc which we use regularly. BUT we do have 2 large chest freezers for meat and fruit and veg which we freeze ourselves every year so wouldn't think the freezer part would be enough for a family iyswim. Also the water and ice dispenser has been a god send cos I'm no longer nagging the dcs to drink enough liquid during the day - they have also started asking for fruit squash instead of begging for fizzy drinks and that can only be good grin

MiceHaveFeelingsToo Mon 06-Jun-11 19:27:00

We have a Whirlpool one and I love it. But I also ahve a small chest freezer in the shed that I use for loaves of bread, pizzas, hundreds of pots of stock, etc. We have had the fridge freezer since 2007 and it has never needed defrosting. The best thing about it is the huge amount of surface area available for our ridiculously large collection of fridge magnets grin oh and the fabulous deep door shelves that mean I can chill 4l milk + 4l OJ + vodka + 3 btls wine all at the same time

bigTillyMint Mon 06-Jun-11 21:44:26

We have a Liebherr fridge-freezer which is cavernous and I love it, but it does not have a water dispenser. It is 2/3 fridge and 1/3 freezer - plenty big enough for casseroles, etc in the cooking pot.

But my bf has an American-style one with the water / ice dispenser in one door and I so love getting drinks from it blush But it doesn't have such big shelves as mine.

OpusProSerenus Mon 06-Jun-11 21:52:02

I love mine. Have a Samsung plumbed in one that does ice and filtered water which is great for the family.

The freezer is smaller than a standard upright one but the only time I find it too small is in the run up to Christmas and I have a chest freezer in the garage for the extra then.

If mine broke I would replace it with another in a heartbeat

tb Fri 10-Jun-11 21:09:12

I have one - had wanted one for years, and eventually got one. It's great. The cat loves the iced water, and in summer gets cubes in her bowl as well. The temperature gets over 40 degrees most years in the summer, so it's been one of our best buys.

We also have our old fridge in the cellar, as well as a chest freezer.

It's an LG one which we bought just over 4 years ago.

jamaisjedors Wed 15-Jun-11 10:54:59

So the ice is good? We are considering this too - we already have a big chest freezer (and an extra fridge downstairs in the basement) for all our garden vegetables.

DH is keen, I'm not sure...

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 15-Jun-11 11:11:50

I love mine primarily because it's orange.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now