Talk

Advanced search

Are there any health benefits to using cornflour instead of plain flour and coconut oil instead of olive/vegetable oil?

(5 Posts)
mogs0 Sun 05-Jun-11 19:54:27

I've found a recipe which requires cornflour and coconut oil and wondered if anyone knew whether there were any health benefits to using either of these ingredients.

MrsTittleMouse Sun 05-Jun-11 19:57:26

Coconut oil is much higher in saturated fat than olive oil and so is less healthy (very yummy though smile).
Is cornflour gluten-free? Might that be the reason? All white flours are just starch, basically, and so are not very healthy. Not that you need to avoid them entirely, but they aren't health-foods.

mogs0 Sun 05-Jun-11 20:20:25

Thanks. The coconut oil was only needed for frying in a pancakes recipe and only a small amount required but I noticed a few recipes included it so wondered why.

Yes, cornflour is gluten free so maybe that's why it's used.

I'm so rubbish when it comes to food/diet etc but am trying to understand it more in an attempt to lose weight long-term so I apologise if my questions are a bit dim grin!

Stase Mon 06-Jun-11 21:55:55

Saturated fats like coconut oil are very stable at high temperatures, so ideal for frying. It's not damaged by the high temps, so trans fats are not so readily formed. The saturated fat in plant foods (nuts mostly) is thought to be broken down more easily by the body than long-chain saturated fats found in meat.
HTH

thetardisismylovenest Mon 06-Jun-11 21:58:30

coconut oil like lard. Not good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now