Talk

Advanced search

Can I make cream cheese frosting with granulated sugar?

(12 Posts)
mogs0 Sun 05-Jun-11 19:01:12

I have been using a sugar substitute and made some delish carrot cakes a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't until they'd all been eaten that I realised I'd used the normal icing sugar for the frosting and wondered if I could have used the sugar substitute instead.

jasper Sun 05-Jun-11 19:11:19

no

mercibucket Sun 05-Jun-11 19:12:20

granulated sugar isn't a sugar substitute grin

allhailtheaubergine Sun 05-Jun-11 19:16:49

Hmm. No you cannot use granulated sugar to make cream cheese frosting. IT would be crunchy.

But I don't really understand your post. Where does the sugar substitute come in? Do you mean Candarel or something like that?

mogs0 Sun 05-Jun-11 19:19:00

Title was more to give an example of the coarseness of the sugar - it's been a very long weekend and my brain isn't fully functioning grin.

I have now found a site with a frosting recipe using the sugar I have.

Lady1nTheRadiator Sun 05-Jun-11 19:22:10

You could put the sugar substitute in a food processor first to make the texture finer, for future reference...personally I don't mind crunch icing blush

Lady1nTheRadiator Sun 05-Jun-11 19:22:33

Crunchy

mogs0 Sun 05-Jun-11 19:27:00

Would it get as fine as icing sugar? I once hand-blended granulated sugar to make caster sugar on my mother's advice.

Lady1nTheRadiator Sun 05-Jun-11 20:22:44

Oh I doubt it - sorry - have ended up being quite useless on this thread blush I was reading on my phone and didn't see the bit about it being icing sugar blush

You could try using honey I suppose as a sweetener to the cream cheese but I am thinking aloud here and no idea if that would work or turn out to be vile.

mogs0 Sun 05-Jun-11 20:42:25

Not useless at all - I'll experiment with different types of sugar/other ingredients and report back soon!

The sugar substitute I have is slightly finer than granulated so might be ok.

PerfickMuther Tue 07-Jun-11 08:03:49

I prefer to omit the sugar as it's bad for the childrens teeth. Use spunk instead.

peachybums Wed 08-Jun-11 21:55:54

It goes crunchy and had bits in yuk learnt from past experience

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: