Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend any jars of/packets of cooking sauce which aren't really high in salt?

(7 Posts)
arabella36 Sat 04-Jun-11 11:11:54

I don't have time for much food prep these days and I thought that if I bought diced chicken fillets and cut up some veg and added a jar of sauce that it would be a bit healthier than ready meals as at least the veg are fresh. But I know most cooking sauces are high in salt and saturated fat. Does anyone know of any readymade sauces which aren't too unhealthy?
Many thanks.

Furball Sat 04-Jun-11 12:28:05

hows about a slow cooker? only about a tenner for a basic one

in the morning - just chuck in what ever you have having. ie chicken/beef/lamb stew etc a load of veg and some stock and leave all day.

come home to instant healthy food.....

you could do

chilli
curry
stews
caseroles
you name it

it's easy peasy.

more recipes here if you are interested

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 04-Jun-11 12:29:50

If you are looking for bolognese or chilli a carton of passata and chopped tomoatoes works well. No need for a cook in sauce.

Bit harder with chicken though.

arabella36 Sat 04-Jun-11 12:40:12

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at a slow-cooker furball

haunted - chilli made with passata is one of my range of about two meals I'm cooking these days! Thanks for the replysmile

Mumanator Sun 05-Jun-11 21:31:46

Kallo do low salt stock and gravy!

JennyPiccolo Sun 05-Jun-11 21:39:31

you can make chicken cacciatore, quite easy using tinned tomatoes.

fry up a couple of rashers of bacon, chopped, with a stick of celery, a bit of garlic and some dried rosemary, then add chopped chicken, a big glug of white wine and a tin of tomatoes and some chopped up cherry tomatoes.

you can either have it with pasta or stick some cannelini beans in with the tomatoes.

a wee bit more complex than just adding a jar but it's really not too hard and really tasty.

babybouncer Wed 08-Jun-11 21:14:35

Not a jar, but I quite often fry chicken and onion/leeks, mushrooms and anything else in the cupboard, then stir in some philadelphia (as much or as little as you have/like) and add a little water to thin it out. Makes a really nice cheesy sauce.

I also make a large batch of tomato pasta sauce and freeze it in various snack pots/ice cube trays. Doesn't take long to defrost and only needs to be made once a month if you get a chance. I fry up a couple of onions, anything else in the cupboard/fridge (mushrooms, courgettes, beans, carrots, peppers etc) and a tin of tomatoes, add a little wine/balsamic vinegar, stock and herbs, seasoning and a teaspoon of sugar, then blitz it in a processor, cool and freeze.

With chicken and veg you could also do a stir-fry on noodles. Then the sauce would be finely chopped garlic, ginger and chillies (if you have them) fried in a little oile, then add veg and chicken, then add a little soy sauce. You could also add honey and vinegar and tomato puree (for a sweet and sour sauce) or some peanut butter (for a satay-style sauce).

Hope that helps!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: