Talk

Advanced search

How long can I live off nothing but fruit and veg?

(27 Posts)
HellChild Fri 03-Jun-11 12:27:15

Will all my teeth fall out after three weeks? hmm grin

McTemp Fri 03-Jun-11 12:28:19

I managed 3 days (whilst trying to discover a food allergy). I couldn't have lasted any longer without murdering someone. I was so hungry!! I'd be amazed at anyone who could go anywhere near as long as three weeks!

topsi Fri 03-Jun-11 15:58:03

Who has reccomende that you do this? I would speak to a professional before you undertake such a radical diet. I am sure you would need to take in some protein in order not to get sick. Even the strictest elimination diets include some fish/chicken and rice surely?

HellChild Fri 03-Jun-11 17:22:49

No one has recommended it...my belly and arse need drastic action. I will be amazed it I could do it. I cooking chicken for everyone else, which is VERY tempting.

colditz Fri 03-Jun-11 17:24:19

There is nothing fattening about a lean piece of chicken, stop being so stupid.

TrillianAstra Fri 03-Jun-11 17:25:52

That would be very unhealthy.

EdithWeston Fri 03-Jun-11 17:28:25

You could probably live on it indefinitely.

But you'd have to be very careful about getting protein (so plenty of pulses) and take a great deal of care to eat a good variety to minimise chances of deficiencies - eg dark leafy for iron, olives/avocados/seeds for oils

Madlizzy Fri 03-Jun-11 17:29:25

Lean chicken is good protein, which will keep you fuller for longer.

PacificDogwood Fri 03-Jun-11 17:31:42

Forever, as long as you include pulses, soya etc for protein in your vegetables.

BelleEnd Fri 03-Jun-11 17:32:09

PLease don't.

I did, for the same reason as you, and had a bit of meat too. This caused an ulcer in my colon which is, at times, as painful as labour.

You need a balanced diet.

EdithWeston Fri 03-Jun-11 17:37:27

Here is a link to the Vegan Society where you will find lots of advice on nutrition.

HellChild Fri 03-Jun-11 18:07:12

BelleEnd, really? shock

Will look at the Vegan society webiste, as I've never met a fat vegan. smile

Oh, and a load of pasta just fell into my mouth. hmm

motherinferior Fri 03-Jun-11 18:08:20

You can be a vegan and live on chips, though. Which are really quite fattening.

ivykaty44 Fri 03-Jun-11 18:11:51

There was an experiment doen a couple of years back where they feed adults on only raw vegtables and fruit and they had dramatic effects on their health in a positive way after two weeks.

The experiment was controlled though and the participants had been checked over first.

They lost a lot of weight and they reduced cholestrol levels and bmi

Thing is I have no idea whether they have gone back and looked at those people two years later to see whether they piled the weight back on and are no different to how they where before

motherinferior Fri 03-Jun-11 18:13:14

Who did the experiment? How many people took part? Was it sponsored?

BelleEnd Fri 03-Jun-11 18:19:48

I was extreme- NOt eating carby veg, living mainly on salad. But I just wish I'd never started- I was far happier before, as a size 18.

ragged Fri 03-Jun-11 18:33:03

How soon would Vit. B12 deficiency kick in ? I think it takes a few years?

Panzee Fri 03-Jun-11 18:34:39

Depends if you get E.Coli.

topsi Fri 03-Jun-11 20:49:37

I think a well thought out vegan diet could be very healthy but there is more to it than just eating fruit and veg.

PacificDogwood Fri 03-Jun-11 20:58:33

Here is the Vegan Society's advice on Vitamin B12 - v interesting!
I am not vegetarian (and have no ambitions in that direction), but I have learnt something on that page about Vit B12, folate, homocysteine and heart disease.
And yes, Vit B12 deficiency takes about 5 years to become clinically relevant.
Knock yourself out, HellChild grin

ragged Fri 03-Jun-11 21:33:04

Ah, but OP didn't say how long she could live off of fruit+veg+_supplements_. Adding vitamin pills to the mix changes all sorts of things. OP actually said "...and nothing else"

PacificDogwood Fri 03-Jun-11 21:36:21

True, so the answer is "about 5 years and then you develop pernicious anaemia, your nervous system breaks down and your risk of heart attack increases" grin

I had to giggle that the Vegan Society points out that Vit B12 supplements are made from the products of microorganisms, so techinically not 'vegetable' wink.

HellChild Fri 03-Jun-11 22:02:32

I take a VitB suppliment most days,a fish oils suppliment and Berocca every day, so I think I should live for three weeks.

But who knows what may accidentally fall into my mouth tomorrow. <sigh>.

orynque Sat 04-Jun-11 11:55:37

4 factories in the world - 3 in China and 1 in France - produce vitamin B12 on an industrial scale. Their total combined production is 35 tonnes per year (2008). That is 6 times the amount needed to meet the requirements of the whole 6 billion human population on earth. Of couse, this quantity cannot be consumed by the vegetarian/vegan component of humanity, so where does it all go ? The greatest part of it is included in feed for animals raised to be eaten by people. All pigs and poultry raised intensively or semi-intensively (ie the vast majority of them) receive their daily dose of vitamin B12 as an additive in their food. Ruminants (cows, steers, sheep ...) are a slightly different case. A fermentation process occurs naturally in their stomachs and the bacteria present are capable of producing vitamin B12 on condition of disposing of a sufficient supply of cobalt. (Vitamin B12 is cyanocobalamin.) So it is that ruminants are given a cobalt supplement to enable the bacteria to synthesize the vitamin. The same cobalt supplementation is provided to farmed rabbits, horses and fish also.

Vitamin B12 has only one origin: bacteria (which indeed are not vegetables, but nor are they animals: they are prokaryotes).

Thus vegans and other vegetarians take supplemental vitamin B12 packaged in a pill whereas meat-eaters take their vitamin B12 supplement packaged in an animal.

[Exerpted from David Olivier at http://www.cahiers-antispecistes.org/spip.php?article405 ,but it is in French.]

ppeatfruit Sat 04-Jun-11 13:23:20

Try the paul mckenna eating plan then you can eat what you want and still loose weight our thread proves it!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: