Talk

Advanced search

Egg, wheat, and milk free diet. Where (the hell) do I start?

(13 Posts)
BagofHolly Thu 02-Jun-11 23:36:49

DS2 is 5 months and has silent reflux and cows milk protein intolerance. Been to see the paediatrician tonight who advised early weaning a few weeks ago so we've been doing sweet potato and pear and apple purée. He's organised some allergy tests but said it's highly likely we have to keep him to a milk/dairy/wheat/egg free diet. We're ok whilst I'm doing purees but I haven't got a clue where to go after that! Feeling v down about the whole thing. He's such a lovely squashy cuddly giggly chap, I'm so sad he's going through this.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 03-Jun-11 07:59:35

For 'wheat' read 'starch'.... so you can use starchy vegetables (potatoes, swede, parsnip), rice, pulses (lentils, beans, chickpeas), quinoa grain. For milk/dairy there are a wide range of soya-based milk-like products that work pretty well. And eggs pop up in various places but you can skirt round them.... alternative sources of protein would be meat, fish, pulses, quinoa.

Chances are that your baby isn't intolerant to wheat or eggs and they're just being eliminated from his diet temporarily until the test results are known. Dairy intolerance can be temporary and improve as the child gets older - my DS is an example of that. Try not to worry too much.

thumbwitch Fri 03-Jun-11 08:06:33

I can't see why, if your child is CMPI, the paed is so sure that he will also be wheat and egg allergic! They aren't necessarily tied together, you know.
Don't go overboard with soy products either - soya is also in the top 5 of allergenic foods. There is a fairtrade rice milk that is fortified with vitamin D and calcium that's not too bad in foods (porridge etc.) - it's quite runny to drink, but also quite sweet and not unpleasant.

In reality, you're not going to have too much trouble unless you particularly wish to introduce cake into his diet. The dairy alternatives are easily available in supermarkets, as well as health food shops. Wheat-free foods are easily available too, in the Free From ranges. Most of the Free From range have a list of what they're free from, or which allergenic foods they do contain - so you'll have to get used to careful reading of the packets.

Commercial baby foods might be a bit of an issue since they seem to love putting pasta in everything - but rice is still a valid alternative and you can always make your own.

Cheer up - it's not that hard when you get into it. smile

gingergaskell Fri 03-Jun-11 08:23:05

My kids both had that. You poor thing the reflux is really awful. sad

We avoided all the main allergens: wheat, egg, soy {check this a lot with protein dairy allergies are also allergic to soy}, meat {since it was a protein allergy} until one year.

The reason for that is because usually testing is not conclusive until after one, so it's a conservative call but safer just to leave them out.

Do you have an older child/ren? If not the first one is relatively easy actually as they don't know any different IYKWIM.

Rice and oats are good safe foods, so once you more onto textures, mine liked things like as bridging foods from purees:
- risottos. I made mine with pudding rice to start, so a nice soft texture, and added things like peas or mushrooms. Also use vegetable stock to cook it in.
- porridge. oats are good for carbs. I cooked them in rice milk, and added dairy and soy free marg {Pure brand from supermarkets is good}, cinnamon and mashed apple for flavour.

Have a look for subsitutes:
- Pure {brand} marg, I mentioned above to replace any butter
Rice milk, for milk {for cooking, it doesn't have enough iron as their main milk source.
- Is he on Neocate? If not ask about it, it's a hyrodised formula which removes all the protein. I did breast feed as well, by removing all dairy from my own diet. You can cook with Neocate if he is on it using in place of milk. Neocate have a whole cook book, look up their web site
- coconut cream for sweet things
- potato and rice for carbs. You can even make cake with mashed potato!
- egg replacer for eggs

Loads of recipes on line so don't despair, it takes a lot of thinking and cooking from scratch {as most things will have traces of one of those in them}, but actually once you get your head around it it's not hard.
The only thing I really struggled with was cheese {since mine couldn't have soy, if you can there are good soy cheese substitutes}.

trixymalixy Fri 03-Jun-11 08:31:47

Rice milk isn't suitable as a drink for kids under 4. As a main drink until 2 you'll either need a hypoallergenic formula or continue bfing if you are. Oat milk and cream is very good, especially on cereal and for cooking with.

Pure spread and vitalit are dairy free. Tofutti cream cheese is good , but the hard soya cheeses are vile.

Soya yoghurts and ice cream are lovely, but I would also advise caution with soya. DS became allergic to it which was very limiting.

ppeatfruit Fri 03-Jun-11 09:02:49

There's a lot of protein in greens as well as fruit of course. Haricot, chickpea avocado and sesame dips are good you can give them with ryvitas and rice cakes etc. A good health food shop is full of products to help you or if you've the time make yr. own bread and cakes I always use a good oil instead of butter and gluten free baking powder in place of eggs (they're nice!!) with Kamut, spelt and or rice flour.

thumbwitch Fri 03-Jun-11 09:15:37

Again though - don't go overboard with sesame as it is also a high-ranking allergen in the UK.
Rice milk is appropriate as a drink for any age but not in the same way that ordinary milk is - i.e. you don't get enough nutrients from it but you can still use it as a drink!

Seona1973 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:53:29

rice milk isnt suitable for children under 4.5years due to arsenic levels not the fact it is nutritionally incomplete.

thumbwitch Fri 03-Jun-11 11:52:17

fair enough - wasn't aware of that - although it can still be used in small amounts. Just not as a milk drink replacement.

BagofHolly Sun 05-Jun-11 00:28:57

Thumbwitch, he's told us to avoid soya too, you just reminded me. The allergy testing is via a bloodtest which I'm obviously not looking forward to. sad

BagofHolly Sun 05-Jun-11 00:32:40

Gingergaskell, thanks for your v detailed post! He's a twin, my other baby also has reflux but his is the ordinary type where he just throws up. He's on Enfamil AR, but my silent reflux baby is on Neocate. My toddler never had any of this trouble at all - I BF him for 13 months but I couldn't continue with the twins as my (already depleted - I had a PPH) supply wasn't enough to keep up with twins PLUS vomiting.

BagofHolly Sun 05-Jun-11 00:35:51

Paed said he was worried about allergies with my second twin (the one on enfamil) as he's got really bad cradle cap and that can be the start of eczema so we're proceeding with caution there. If he's still vomiting like he is in 2 weeks, he has to go on Neocate too. We're on tons of drugs - I could cry it's so complicated.

Buttonnosedsausage Sun 05-Jun-11 00:44:42

Please repost this in Allergies. Hth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now