Talk

Advanced search

What's your best outcome for least effort meal?

(33 Posts)
breatheslowly Thu 02-Jun-11 20:16:09

I've just made pasta puttanesca based on Nigel Slater's recipe and it took 25min and I was able to sort out the washing and dishwasher while it cooked and it mostly uses store cupboard ingriedients. I don't do much cooking as DH does it so I would like some ideas for other meals that are low effort/quick/really tasty.

catinboots Thu 02-Jun-11 20:30:35

This is my easy peasy pasta recipe which makes you look like a culinary goddess.

Fry a packet of lardons (or some chopped up bacon), 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper and a clove of garlic in a splash of olive oil. At the same time cook some taglietelle (or whatever pasta you have) and chuck half a packet of pine nuts (quite expensive but worth it) under a low heat grill.

Drain pasta, stir in half a tub of soft cream cheese, add lardons, peppers and toasted pine nuts. Serve with rocket salad (from a bag) and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (pre-grated).

Voila. You look flash and it took about 10mins.

catinboots Thu 02-Jun-11 20:31:45

Never fails to impress. Either at a dinner party or with DCs friends.

BikeRunSki Thu 02-Jun-11 20:35:04

Jacket spud, baked beans, grated cheese. No effort, cheap, tasty, filling, everyone in this house loves it.

LorettaMasonPotts Thu 02-Jun-11 20:38:00

Gino D'acampo crab linguine. Can't remember exact quantities, but ingredients are tinned crab chunks, linguine (or spaghetti), lemon zest & juice, garlic, finely chopped chillies and parsley.

Cooks very quickly and is absolutely delicious.

catinboots Thu 02-Jun-11 20:38:18

Oh sorry. If we're doing easy peasy it's potatos in the micro with a bit of oil and salt to make them crispy. Supermarket pre-shredded chicken with tinned sweetcorn and Mayo on top. Non nom.

catinboots Thu 02-Jun-11 20:41:31

Or my super super easy peasy fav supper is a thick granary bread sandwich, thick butter, a handful of pre-grated cheddar and a bag of salt and vinegar chipsticks...

rockinhippy Thu 02-Jun-11 21:45:12

tonights tea was - Spaghetti Meatless balls smile takes about 15 minutes - no effort & everyone loves it.... serves about 4 - 6

Bag of frozen veggie Meat balls - soy or quorn

carton of Passata or tin of chopped tomatoes

half of above can or carton of water

2 - 3 large handfuls of frozen chopped onions (get ours from iceland)

couple of large handfuls of washed spinach leaves - shred with scissors

good glug of Olive oil

good glug of Dark soy sauce

couple of tea spoons of ...

powdered or dried Garlic

dried Chives

dried basil

couple of bay leaves

few twists of black pepper grinder

A measure of spaghetti per person

grated parmesan to finish

boil water & add a bit of olive oil & Spaghetti - whilst this is cooking --

Throw frozen meat free balls into a large bottomed pan or wok, with a good glug of dark soy sauce & olive oil -

stir over heat making sure they get a good coating of the soy & oil whilsts they begin to defrost/cook

as they begin to soften throw in frozen onions & continue to stir through

add tomato/passatta & water, stir

add all herbs - stir & leave to simmer until cooked through - test with a fork

now add shredded spinach & stir through thoroughly

Check & if ready drain spaghetti

serve - finish with parmesan smile

superv1xen Thu 02-Jun-11 21:49:49

make up batchelors pasta in sauce, (yes REALLY blush ) macaroni cheese flavour. grill 2 birdseye chicken chargrills blush chop into chunks, mix into the pasta, then mix in about 4 tbsps of frozen sweetcorn and 6 ish florets frozen brocoli (both cooked), a load of grated cheddar on top, grill until golden.

yummy smile

aStarInStrangeways Thu 02-Jun-11 21:53:42

Spaghetti with chilli and garlic:

- cook spaghetti
- just before spaghetti is done, heat some olive oil in a small frying pan and gently saute some chopped red chilli and garlic
- toss spaghetti in the chilli/garlic oil, season as required, eat.

supadupapupascupa Thu 02-Jun-11 21:56:15

switch on slow cooker and boil kettle
throw into cooker beef/pork/lamb, with chopped onion, celery and carrot.
dissolve oxo cubes in water and add to pot
add own choice of herbs (thyme/marjoram)

after 5 hours, dissolve flour in water and add to pot to thicken sauce

piprabbit Thu 02-Jun-11 22:00:26

Chicken with Tomatoes and Polenta:

Crumble a pack of ready made polenta into the bottom of a large roasting tin (leave it quite chunky).

Grate some parmesan (or mature cheddar) finely over the the polenta and toss it around together.

Sit 2 (3 if I'm feeding the DCs too) boneless, skin on chicken breasts on top of the polenta.

Place cherry tomatoes in the gaps (a 250g pack should do).

Fling some rosemary on top (or thyme if that's what you've got).

Drizzle over some olice oil (garlic infused is lovely).

Bake for about 30mins at 200degrees - until chicken is cooked and bits of the polenta are going cripsy.

Serve with salad/green beans/whatever.

Yum yum.

Georgimama Thu 02-Jun-11 22:03:44

Hairy biker's braised steak recipe. So easy and their recipes actually turn out like the dish looks on TV (unlike yours Mr Oliver for example).

MadamDeathstare Thu 02-Jun-11 22:06:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itwascertainlyasurprise Thu 02-Jun-11 22:08:18

Message withdrawn

MadamDeathstare Thu 02-Jun-11 22:08:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

itwascertainlyasurprise Thu 02-Jun-11 22:09:46

Message withdrawn

schroeder Thu 02-Jun-11 22:12:45

Teriyaki chicken/turkey skewers with noodles and carrot sticks.

thebunnies Thu 02-Jun-11 22:15:01

This is really really easy and yummy. No need to rinse the lamb but do cook it a bit longer than the recipe says. Serve with couscous. Practically no effort needed.

cyb Thu 02-Jun-11 22:17:19

Ooh last night I was VERY short on inspiration but ended up (after cupboard raid) using chicken boneless thighs and shaking them in a sandwich bag with olive oil and that Mexican taco mix powder stuff, lobbed in a roasting tray with onions and toms

Then made cous cous (tipped boiling water on it till inflated then bunged in some butter, feta cheese cubes and parsley)

IT WAS DE FREEKIN LICIOUS. Took about 6 mins to make, 25 to cook

thebunnies Thu 02-Jun-11 22:19:38

And this risotto also great on effort / outcome ratio.

catinboots Fri 03-Jun-11 07:35:56

I love this thread! Have printed it out! Keep them coming...

breatheslowly Fri 03-Jun-11 12:28:46

These are great and I can't wait to try them on DH. I particularly like catinboots chipsticks smile.

pregnantpause Fri 03-Jun-11 12:38:28

cougette omlette. three eggs beaten, a grated courgette and 50g goats cheese. done in 5 mins and a delicious meal, which is made quite adult with the goats cheese.

acatcalledbob Fri 03-Jun-11 12:41:05

Pesto salmon: spread pesto on salmon. Bake in oven. Serve with buttered linguine or mashed potatoes and spinach / broccoli / green salad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: