Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone think of a tasty chicken and mushroom recipe that doesn't have cream?

(17 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Thu 02-Jun-11 19:00:35

I know chicken and mushroom in creamy sauce is heavenly, but my stomach can't cope with cream. I can do butter and parmesan and goats cheese but not cream (I'm working up to it!).

So are there any alternatives? I have some nice fresh pasta or potatoes or rice. The chicken and the mushrooms both need to be eaten tonight so any ideas appreciated!

Thanks!

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jun-11 19:04:02

Oh , was going to suggest using oatly cream, but that's no good for tonight.

Sauté chicken and mushroom with garlic and butter and pour over pasta?

IHeartKingThistle Thu 02-Jun-11 19:06:36

Garlic and butter - even reading that makes my mouth water!

Can a risotto work without cream? I used to do a nice mushroom one but it definitely had a whole tub of cream in it blush

nokissymum Thu 02-Jun-11 19:08:02

Chicken, mushrooms, onions, seasoning, sliced tomatoes, chopped chillies, fry, yum!

TragicallyHip Thu 02-Jun-11 19:10:38

I always make risotto without cream. Add a bit more cheese and a splash of milk

CamperFan Thu 02-Jun-11 19:11:13

Risotto can definitely work without cream, I have never put cream in, and I don't tend to use creme fraiche either. As long as you don't over cook it so it's still very moist, it will be yummy. Then drizzle olive oil and lots of Parmesan!

3littlefrogs Thu 02-Jun-11 19:12:47

If you have any other veg you could make a stir fry. You can serve it with the rice either boiled, or egg fried.

(I use garlic, ginger, sherry and soy sauce as a base - marinade the chicken before frying, then thicken the liquid to make the sauce).

Or - if you have tomatoes or passata you could make a chicken and mushroom sauce with pasta.

TrinityIsAShreddingFatRhino Thu 02-Jun-11 19:14:38

when I was on WW I often did chicken, onions and mushrooms fried up together and then pour on a tin of campbells condensed chicken soup, warm through and serve with rice

yum

3littlefrogs Thu 02-Jun-11 19:15:01

chicken marengo: tinned tomatoes, sherry, bacon rinds and peppercorns, onions, mushrooms, carrots, potatoes chicken - all cooked together in the oven or pressure cooker.

IHeartKingThistle Thu 02-Jun-11 19:15:18

Fantastic ideas - I knew MN would come good!

Right. I am going to attempt my first non-creamy risotto. Wish me luck!

IHeartKingThistle Thu 02-Jun-11 19:16:13

Am noting down the others though for future reference smile

overmydeadbody Thu 02-Jun-11 19:17:24

I have never used cream in a risotto, I prefer a sauce similar to gravy, so chicken stock , soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, onion etc.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jun-11 19:22:51

I do risotto with just chicken stock, no cream.

MmeLindor. Thu 02-Jun-11 19:26:45

Can you use sour cream? Or milk? I rarely use cream.

If you can cope with milk then you can fry the chicken and mushroom in butter, sprinkle with a bit of flour, soak up butter a bit then slowly add milk, stir till thickened. (basically a classic white sauce but all in the same pan).

I bung in some ham and frozen peas then cover with puff pastry to make a delicious pie.

CamperFan Thu 02-Jun-11 19:57:38

Just an aside, when I had gallstones cream didn't agree with me either and I used alpro cream. Infact I still sometimes use it in fish pie and a few other things and no one can tell the difference. But then I'm not big on that farm yardy taste that full fat dairy products have and don't tend to eat them much anyway. But you could give it a try, has about the same fat content as Elmlea I think (which I also sometimes use - check out Jamie olivers 30 min chicken pie, I do this with mushrooms and elmlea, as well as the leek).

IHeartKingThistle Thu 02-Jun-11 22:19:45

Thanks CamperFan, that's great advice. I do have one little gallstone but I didn't link the two before.

trixymalixy Thu 02-Jun-11 22:20:52

Oatly dairy free cream is much nicer than alpro soya cream. You can get it in tesco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now