Talk

Advanced search

Best food when recovering from illness

(5 Posts)
pongonperdy Wed 01-Jun-11 21:11:41

Dh is recovering from a virus and has lost his appetite. I need to tasty meals to tempt him with which will also be nutritious.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 01-Jun-11 21:34:23

Broths are good because they're hydrating, warming and nourishing as well as easy to sip/spoon from a mug. If you've got the time/inclination to make some proper stock from a beef bone that's a great base. Pulses, herbs, vegetables, garlic plenty of seasoning.

MarmadukeMarmalade Thu 02-Jun-11 10:04:55

Rice pudding with Stewed or fresh fruit, Blancmange with fresh fruit (strawberry blancmange with fresh strawberries) - I know these are puds, but, I like puds smile. Risotto made with julienne veg and chicken breast, poached fish, haddock with poached egg and crusty bread and butter or chicken breast, carrots, green beans and tiny new pots cooked in veg stock (usually add a tablespoon of porridge oats to thicken stock slightly without changing taste too much) or milky porridge, that's nice with a dollop of jam or golden syrup. Hope this helps and DH feels better soon.

annoyingdevil Thu 02-Jun-11 11:35:34

scrambled eggs

MarmadukeMarmalade Thu 02-Jun-11 11:43:12

Things on toast - I always enjoy that. Cheese and onion, cheese and tomato, baked beans, tinned tomatoes ( not everyone's cup of tea, agreed, but I love tinned toms on toast), mashed sardines and marmite and mushrooms.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: