Talk

Advanced search

How Old?!?

(5 Posts)
cinnamonswirls Wed 01-Jun-11 17:50:15

Thought I'd just check the date on my ginger...2004! shock Check all of them mainly 2005/06!! some 07 some as far back as 02 blush

Only one 2010....

Ouch - do spices go off? I've sort of wondered why they taste a bit dusty subtle

Do I bin and start again? or in the spirit of frugality just forget about it for a while?

NettoSuperstar Wed 01-Jun-11 17:52:31

I found old cuppa soups in the back of my cupboard last week dated 2006.
I kept them, figuring powder doesn't go off.

With spices though, the flavour isn't so good if they are old, but they won't harm you.

LordOfTheFlies Wed 01-Jun-11 19:21:27

I used some dried chives in a sour cream potato bake on Sunday.
They were Aug 2010.
Lost a bit of colour( I keep in a dark pantry) and tasted a bit like teabags!

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 01-Jun-11 20:44:31

Spices do go off, especially the ones with volatile oils.... once evaporated they taste like sawdust. I've got a fairly old but very small pot of saffron threads however, and that's still going strong despite being a few years old. World record belongs to my mum. The box of Whitworths Dessicated Coconut she kept on the top shelf of her cupboard (until I finally cracked and chucked it in the bin a couple of years ago) was priced '4d'. And for anyone under 45, that means it was bought pre-1971 smile Whatever was inside that box, it certainly wasn't coconut any more.

cinnamonswirls Wed 01-Jun-11 22:11:03

Hmm I have wondered why my chilis and stirfries sort of tasted a bit.....

Right I reckon the only stuff 2010 is 'erbs but I use garden ones and so it can join the rest..... sayonara!

whitworths dessicated coconut 4d? Fabulous! prob tastes about the same as my chili powder!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: