Talk

Advanced search

Won't eat fruit (phobic?)

(12 Posts)
redskyatnight Wed 01-Jun-11 15:21:43

DD is 5 and has not eaten fruit since she was about 8 months old and on purees. She will drink orange juice (if no bits) and raisins but won't touch fruit in any other shape or form.

DD has spent some time in a day nursery since being a baby and every time she changed rooms the nursery nurse in the next room made it their "challenge" to get her eating fruit - none of them succeeded (so it's not specifically related to us).

We are a big fruit eating family so there is always fruit about (DS would happily eat fruit all day). If we are (say) having a fruit pudding and she refuses it, she doesn't get an alternative. We encourage her to try but she is very loathe (for example) even to put a small piece of fruit in her mouth and becomes very distressed. If a pudding has fruit in (e.g. jelly with fruit set in it) she will refuse to eat it - she won't even attempt to pick out the bits without the fruit.

She "will" cook with some fruits e.g. making banana bread, but doesn't like to even touch "slimy" fruits.

We've not made it a big deal because I've hoped as she gets older she will be more willing to "try" - but actually she seems to be getting worse and gets very distressed at the idea.

Would be grateful to hear from anyone else who has gone through similar with a DC or any hints as to how to encourage her to eat fruit?

TheOriginalFAB Wed 01-Jun-11 15:46:56

Mine wasn't as bad as that (as in all the time not as in naughty) but he would eat fruit in a pie, crumble, cake or muffin that he wouldn't eat in pieces on his plate. I decided it was more important he got fruit in him rather than in what form and now he is 5 and eats most fruits.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 01-Jun-11 15:48:01

I have also just blended up milk, raspberries, a banana, a satsuma and kiwi to make lollies and have dropped a raspberry and piece of kiwi and banana in them for fun. Easy way to get the fruit in them.

couldtryharder Wed 01-Jun-11 18:57:54

I wouldn't sweat it to be honest. If it's in the house and now and again you offer it with no pressure or ultimateum (sp?) then perhaps one day she'll change her mind and try a bit. But if the rest of her diet is good and she eats veg then I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. We can't all like everything and no doubt she'll grow up to eventually like one or two fruits. My mum is a total fruit bat, so it my son. Me, not so much so, I can take it or leave it, as a kid and as an adult.

pongonperdy Wed 01-Jun-11 20:51:24

My daughter used to eat all fruit until she syarted school. Now she will only eat melon. She will drink smoothies though and will eat all veg even sprouts!

Maybe its a texture thing, ie slimy, squashy fruit may no be appealing.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 01-Jun-11 21:38:40

How about growing some strawberries in the garden or going to a pick-your-own fruit farm? Sometimes seeing the stuff growing temptingly on bushes is more appealing than all dead and cut up on a plate. Otherwise, if she eats plenty of vegetables, she's really not going to suffer if she doesn't eat fruit.

ppeatfruit Thu 02-Jun-11 13:35:48

Yes i agree with cogito (perhaps the nursery was TOO enthusiastic about the fruit) i would totally ignore the fruit problem and let her get there on her own.

montmartre Thu 02-Jun-11 16:03:04

My DS won't eat fruit either- he will eat puree, or stewed fruit (eg apple and plums), smoothies too, and dried fruit (raisins, apricots, prunes).
It is purely a texture thing for him- he hates it in his mouth. (he has no issues with messy play etc)

I think he'll get there in his own time tbh, he is starting to look at our fruit now at least so maybe he'll actually try eating some soon?

If she'll eat raisins, is it worth trying dried prunes and apricots too? We buy organic ones (from sainsburys) which are very soft and chewy, quite similar texture to raisins actually, and he is happy to eat those. You do need to force offer water too though, as dried fruit makes them more constipated I find.

It is so stressful though, I know... especially as he doesn't eat vegetables either sad.

Lovecooking Sat 04-Jun-11 14:50:05

dip in warm chocolate ?

deaconblue Sun 05-Jun-11 18:33:00

ds is exactly the same but doesn't eat veg either. It's definitely a texture problem with him. He has innocent smoothie with no bits once a day, fruit juice once a day and an innocent fruit puree tube daily. I know it's not ideal but I think it's better than nothing.
we've recently had some success with a pasta pot that we use for improving behaviour in other ways too. If ds tries a new food he gets a bit of pasta in his pot. A full pot and he chooses a prize from the prize box (it's stuff like the little playmobil figures, a cheap dvd, a new book). In the past 3 weeks he's tried jacket potatoes, banana and melon (liked all 3, amazed himself and has willingly eaten small amounts of all 3 several times since), green beans, apple and carrot (didn't like but at least he took a decent bite and gave it a chew). Baby steps but more progress than we've made in 4 years.
we've also avoided making a big deal out of food but he's cottoned on to the idea that there's something in it for him if he tries different foods and has been suggesting it himself.

JarethTheGoblinKing Sun 05-Jun-11 18:41:29

DS is the same OP, he has never eaten fruit in its natural form. I do get fruit into him by pureeing apple/pear/mango/carrot together and putting it in his ready brek, so it's not the taste (though he can't stand the taste of strawberries and bananas - strange child). He won't touch smoothies or juice though, so at least you have that smile
He hates almost all veg, so has vegetable mash most days.. again, texture. Hates wet food.

Its definitely a texture thing, he won't touch jelly or any slimy sweets and is definitely verging on phobic. My Sister is the same, always has been, and she has to force herself to eat fruit, even now (she's 27) but for her it's a texture thing as well.

zozzle Thu 09-Jun-11 18:46:32

My daughter's the same OP (she's 4) - but she will drink Innocent smoothie cartons with a straw. Expensive but at least she's getting some fruit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: