Talk

Advanced search

Anyone made a toadstool cake?

(2 Posts)
Malvapoeding Tue 31-May-11 20:56:26

I am hoping to make one for DD2's 1st birthday party this weekend. I make traditional cakes (square/round/oval, etc.) for weddings and Christenings etc but have never attempted a fondant covered shaped cake. Any ideas or tips? I was going to use this as a rough idea but with fondant instead of buttercream.

startail Wed 01-Jun-11 00:57:29

Never done a toadstool, but have done a pig which uses cakes cooked in two pyrex bowls like the link.

You can get a pretty good idea of how much mixture you need by filling your bowls with water to a bit over 2/3 and seeing which of your normal tins it fills to the same level (A bit of a pain given my usual tin is loose bottomed but it does work)

And you'll probably find the cakes are a bit slow cooking, Pyrex is not as quick as tins.

Otherwise I'd say its easier than a formal cake because it doesn't have to be immaculate, just colourful with lots of sweets - small children never eat the cake.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: