Talk

Advanced search

Q&A on cooking with seasonal ingredients with broadcaster and author, Annabel Langbein - ANSWERS BACK

(18 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 31-May-11 17:34:02

We're joined this week for a Q&A on cooking with seasonal ingredients with Annabel Langbein. Annabel is the biggest-selling food author in her native New Zealand and her latest book The Free Range Cook Book is about to hit the UK stores and accompanying TV show, is on Good Food Channel starting on 8th June at 6pm. Annabel is committed to seasonal cooking and her book is full of recipes which are 'no-stress' and use fresh seasonal ingredients. As well as answering your questions on cooking and baking, she's happy to give suggestions on what to do with specific ingredients, so if your garden has a glut of runner beans this spring or you've been confronted by a Kohlrabi in your organic veggie box, send your questions over to Annabel and she will come up with some ideas to turn these ingredients into delicious meals. Send a question to Annabel by the end of the day on Sunday 5th June and you will be entered into a draw to win one of five signed copies of her book, The Free Range Cook Book

Cattleprod Tue 31-May-11 19:34:04

My son and I are growing a variety of fruit and vegetables in the garden. I think the radishes will be ready first. Apart from just chopping them up and using them in salads, what can we do with them? Preferably something easy we can make together - he's only 3.

smile

teapartyfan Tue 31-May-11 21:53:22

I'm going to be swimming in redcurrants and whitecurrants and blackcurrants which are all going for it this year in our fruitcage. Apart from jam, I'd love some ideas about what to do with (vast quantities) of them! Thank you!

Crumblemum Wed 01-Jun-11 15:25:12

OK, I know it's not seasonal at the moment, but I'm a big fan of celeriac - but after doing a dauphinoise non stop for 3 winters in a row, even I could do with a change - any ideas?

Taffeta Wed 01-Jun-11 15:52:05

I'd love some ideas for using sorrell please. We also expect a glut of blackcurrants and gooseberries this year, so again any top recipes, esp of the baking kind appreciated. Thank you.

aristocat Wed 01-Jun-11 18:58:31

hello Annabel, you have such an interesting beginning to cooking smile and your attitude is brilliant.

do your children share your passion?

MmeLindor. Wed 01-Jun-11 21:14:06

I don't grow anything, aside from some berries, but would like to start. What would you suggest for a beginner (and somewhat haphazard) gardener?

We live near Geneva, so it will have to something that is fine with heat and not too much rain.

Psssst, RachelMN. It is kohlrabi. Like the Chancellor.

Cantdothisagain Wed 01-Jun-11 21:29:02

Hi Annabel. Your book looks great. I get a veggie box and end up stumped by Jerusalem artichokes as nobody but me will eat them as they seem to cause wind! Do you have any suggestions on non-wind-inducing recipes with Jerusalem artichokes, preferably toddler-friendly? Thank you.

ZacharyQuack Thu 02-Jun-11 08:13:31

Kia Ora Annabelle, how exciting to have a Kiwi on for a webchat.

No questions, just a recommendation for both the TV show and the book, they are both lovely with lots of delicious recipes.

Best of luck for sales in the UK!

brookeslay Fri 03-Jun-11 12:59:27

Hello Annabel,

Apart from your delicious sounding bacon & egg pie what else do you suggest I make for a summer picnic??. Six adults and 1 child. Any tips for packing storing said items too please.

good luck with the book

and thank you

Mellowfruitfulness Sun 05-Jun-11 06:19:45

Hello,Annabel.

Any suggestions for meals that I can cook ahead for 15 vegetarians and meat eaters plus someone with coeliac's disease plus toddlers, that will keep for a day or two in English summer conditions out of the fridge and will bear being transported in the car for 7 hours??

We're all going on holiday together and I'd like to do as much of the cooking as possible beforehand.

My solution at the moment is to make lots of different dishes so there's something for everyone, but I'm bored with the stuff I keep churning out (quiches, pasta, salads etc)!

DazR Sun 05-Jun-11 17:10:26

Hi Annabel, This year I have planted vegetables for the first time. On reflection I think I have planted too many sweetcorn!! Have you any ideas on how I can utilise this vegetable in a variety of interesting ways when harvested later in the year. I think your book would prove very useful for those of us who are taking to 'growing our own'. Best wishes.

brookeslay Sat 11-Jun-11 10:06:23

Has a list of winners been printed yet , many thanks

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-Jun-11 09:50:46

Many thanks for the questions which we've sent over to Annabel and congratulations to: Cattleprod, teapartyfan, cantdothisagain, brookeslay and dazr who have each won a copy of Annabel's book, The Freerange Cookery Book. We will be in touch by pm to get your details. We'll be linking to the transcribed Q&A as soon as we get the answers back from Annabel.

xiaojoiii Sat 18-Jun-11 02:14:05

Message deleted

xiaosww Sun 19-Jun-11 12:30:54

Message deleted

Oblomov Sun 19-Jun-11 13:35:48

I have watched Many of Annabel's recent programmes on Good Food Channel. Alot of her food looks lovely. But to be fair, if you wanted to produce, onion tartlet, oxtail casserole, pot&swede mash and pak choi, with poached pears and creme fraiche. This would all be fine. If you had nothing else to do in life. No children or part time job.
Do you have any suggestions as to how to fit this into a busy schedule?

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-Jun-11 12:43:17

Annabel's answers are back and you can read the full transcribed Q&A here

Annabel Lanbein Q&A

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now