Talk

Advanced search

Chocolate mousse with egg whites, not whole eggs?

(7 Posts)
eeky Tue 31-May-11 16:43:58

Anyone got a recipe for this which works well? I am thinking of trying a milk choc child-friendly version and have read various recipes, some with just melted choc and whisked egg white, some with cream added, some with sugar added. I have no objection to using egg yolks too, just have lots of frozen egg whites waiting to be used up!

Ta.

piebald Wed 01-Jun-11 16:40:39

Not sure that i would be keen on using frozen egg whites in something thats uncooked. I am not overly fussy but might be best to cook them-Make some meringues to go with yummy choc mousse which i cant imagine with only whites. Or some of those cats tongues (surely thats not what they are called!) biscuits ,i suspect they may just use whites

This chocolate mousse recipe uses only egg whites and is absolutely fine with previously frozen ones. I actually use two egg whites in the recipe as it's a bit too strong imo.

And here are three great recipes from Hugh Fearnley-Wotnot.

I've made all of these and they're worth freezing egg whites for!

piebald Thu 02-Jun-11 09:30:39

Thats good to know, i seem to more often have yolks left but i will try those macaroons they look great

Pie I make up custard when I have spare yolks, but using double cream and cornflour so it doesn't split when I defrost/reheat it. Or spoil myself with asparagus and a cheaty hollandaise like this one.

piebald Thu 02-Jun-11 14:37:26

I have a lemon curd recipe with just yolks which is lovely almost like a mousse.
Havent made a hollandaisse for years, quite partial to a bearnaise on staek. yum
Good idea re freezing custard

eeky Fri 03-Jun-11 23:50:18

thanks for that recipe, LockStock - it looks great. I use egg whites in loads of other recipes but am thinking the mousse will be a good way of getting calories into a toddler dd that eats very little...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now