Talk

Advanced search

How do I change their eating habits?

(7 Posts)
NickRobinsonsloveslave Mon 30-May-11 11:44:05

My DCs(3) all like chocolate, sweets and crisps...but they won't touch the cheap brands. So I end up spending a fortune on Mars bars, Walkers crisps, etc.
DH wants meat at every dinner and hates pasta...DCs will only eat spag bol, so pasta bake is out.
DCs hate roast dinners, casseroles, stews, salads, and DH won't try anything new, just wants roast chicken, beef, lamb and shepherds pie.
Am spending a shedload on food so how do I get them to lower their expectations?

SouthGoingZax Mon 30-May-11 11:46:40

Just STOP doing it!

Serve them the same meal as each other, let them serve themselves what they want. Otherwise it's fruit or they're hungry. They'll soon get the message.

Or if they're old enough, get them to take turns cooking.
DH should grow up too - perhaps he should cook pcasionally too - but it must be something new!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 30-May-11 13:23:17

Absolutely, stop pandering to everyone. You need to have a long chat with your DH for a start. If he's behaving like a fussy toddler, you're going to get nowhere with the children. He has to set a better example, try new foods and look like he's enjoying it.

My technique with my DS (who has been fussy in the past) is to offer old favourites interspersed with new dishes. The 'deal' is that he has to try three good mouthfuls of anything before saying he doesn't like it. And, if he doesn't like it, he's aware that there are no alternatives. No topping up with chocolates etc. We've gradually added new dishes to the repertoire over the years that way.

But really, it starts with the adults...

NickRobinsonsloveslave Mon 30-May-11 13:59:15

DH has just gone out, will be back this evening. I asked him what he was doing re dinner as DCs are having spag bol. He pulled a face and said "well I'm not having that am I?" Basically then he expects me to rustle up a roast dinner just for him...I kid you not!
Apart from the fact that DCs don't like same stuff to eat as DH, what do I do....cook stuff DH likes in the hope the DCs will be so hungry they'll attempt to eat some, orvice versa.
It's driving me mad listening to them all moaning.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 30-May-11 14:24:28

There comes a point where you have to draw the line and I think you've reached it. You were not put on the earth to be the personal chef to your husband and family. You happen to be the one that cooks the meals and they should be a little more grateful and stop treating you like a slave.

Sounds like it's your DH's turn to do the cooking if he's turning his nose up at good food. See how he likes catering for everyone. Could you arrange to go stay with a friend for a few days?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 30-May-11 14:25:38

BTW... for this evening you make spaghetti bolognese only. You've told him that's what's on the menu so he knows what to expect. Stick to your guns and don't be bullied.

ppeatfruit Mon 30-May-11 15:18:08

you could discuss with yr. DCs that they will only have the exp. chocs and crisps if they buy them with their pocket money, talk about how much they cost etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: