Talk

Advanced search

How do you make delicious ribs?

(12 Posts)
AllGoneABitBobLazar Sun 29-May-11 19:50:46

I want to make juicy, sticky and falling-off-the-bone ribs. Mine always turn out a bit dry and chewy - please tell me what am I doing wrong confused

theanimalswentintwobytwo Sun 29-May-11 20:01:55

My cousin does his in one of those plug in slow cookers. he says they are perfect everytime. Good luck

Moodykat Sun 29-May-11 20:17:21

We do ribs in a bbq type saucy thing. Cook them low for 3 or 4 hours with tinned tomatoes, ketchup, 5 spice and whatever else we can think of to chuck in! I found the initial recipe online and then we just adapt it.

AllGoneABitBobLazar Sun 29-May-11 20:43:49

Thanks a lot Animals and Moodykat. I've got a slow cooker, so will give it a go - yum smile

Seona1973 Sun 29-May-11 21:50:38

we put ours wrapped in foil in a baking tray and covered in a hoi sin sauce marinade. They are then cooked in the oven for a few hours at about 120 degrees.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 29-May-11 21:51:20

I use Ken Hom's technique of deep-frying followed by braising followed by roasting.... recipe here Worth the effort.

AllGoneABitBobLazar Sun 29-May-11 22:01:15

Ooh - thanks everyone for all the lovely ideas. Might have to try them all out [greedy emoticon]

emmspemms Sun 29-May-11 22:28:19

Put them in the slow cooker with a chopped onion, some garlic, herbs , salt & pepper ,Tabasco , soy sauce, balsamic vinegar and some brown sugar for as long as possible !
Make the sauce by taking the ribs out carefully, the meat will fall off , and use a stick blender to whizz the sauce.
Could probably be made a day in advance, cooled and carefully reheated.

mawbroon Sun 29-May-11 22:36:28

I boil them first then add the sauce and roast.

FrottageCod Sun 29-May-11 22:46:12

look up nigella's sticky ribs recipe. The only thing I would say, is perhaps boil the ribs a bit first to get rid of the fat.

AllGoneABitBobLazar Mon 30-May-11 16:39:43

Thanks everyone.

Batteryhuman Mon 30-May-11 16:45:29

I just make a marinade based on soy sauce, ketchup and honey with whatever spices take my fancy eg, mustard or chilli sauce or cumin and coriander or smoked paprika but so long as there is something sharp (ketchup) something salt (soy) and something sweet (honey) it always tastes good. Bake in a medium oven for 40 minutes or so with foil on for the first half hours and then uncover to reduce the sauce. Always eat with rice and broccoli........

Kids love it. Oh and I find that the strips of baby back ribs are less fatty than the bigger separated out ones.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: